Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  We are moving to TexasBoatForums.com, come on over and visit!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Chine walk (Read 15772 times)
mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Re: Chine walk
Reply #30 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 6:03pm

The access kit from merc is 22-88847a1 It is a hole your thread and install the supplied plugs. My preference is that over the plate type some one makes. The plate does allow easier access but IMO is much uglier. Either way cutting or drilling sucks. I have some chisels I have modified to make it easier to move the nut. Yes I agree pulling engines are not practical for this repair. The first time It took Greg and I all day to do both sides. Once the plugs are there it can be done in half the time.

In salt yes. The ring is the expensive part the shaft will only need replacement if corroded. The tiller is steel too and may be ok. If time is not an issue remove and see.

It doesn't matter about pressure on. You are checking all the lash from the inside cylinder back. If you look carefully you can probably watch the ring move on the shaft from the back of the boat while looking up at the bottom of the shaft. Measure the bottom pivot to see how much the have dropped. Look to see if the the upper shaft seal has fallen into view and you may be able to better predict what is needed. I remember the drives swinging freer then 1 inch but it really doesn't matter I know they they swing more then is safe enough to make it unmanageable  to speed.

Jim
IP Logged

Cobalt Blue
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Re: Chine walk
Reply #31 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 11:05pm

Great post.  Thanks for all of the info and great stories.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care