Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  If your significant other gets jealous of your boat, you belong here.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Most Memorable Boat Days? (Read 30408 times)
Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Re: Most Memorable Boat Days?
Reply #60 - Sep 26th, 2013 at 6:20pm

Oh man, I can totally see you rocking that boat name LOL

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Reply #61 - Sep 26th, 2013 at 7:51pm

lake powell is part of the reason I miss living in Flagstaff az.  the family and I never got a chance to go but I went several times for work.

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #62 - Sep 26th, 2013 at 9:22pm

G Nice nice with London Bridge in the back ground.

I never got to explore Havasu when I was there. Pits were at the Nautical Inn and we passed over London Bridge daily. On Saturday I missed the opportunity to take a picture of the ramp parking. It was unlike anything I have ever seen. I can't even guess how many 100's of empty cat trailers there were. rows and rows.

Captain, I have many more years of race stories I could share.

Jim
IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #63 - Sep 26th, 2013 at 9:43pm

Another '99 story. Bad hops are those things you never want to happen. Many bad hops end badly. First I would like to explain waves amplify when two meet so for a moment the can double in size as the cross. Toughs follow the same rule two holes can cross and for a moment make a double deep hole. I learned when you race you always trim the boat is such a way as you can run it WOT and never lose site of the horizon. No matter what you do not want to take a moon shot. They are for  camera shoots. They look cool and that's it. Moon shots in races usually end bad and always slow you down. In Key West after Martin and I blow another drive during the first race in the Mastry boat we went out the interim day to test briefly. Test runs for me are usually more scary then race days. In part because there are no markers out. No safety out so you are on your own to deal with any problem you may encounter.  On this day we headed out the harbor mimicking the first leg. Headed out on an approximately s by sw heading. As we clear the harbor the seas were building slightly. Martin and I were talking back and forth, "how does it feel?" he asked. "Good, I began to relay what the speedo was reading, " 85, 0, 80, 10, 85, 0,0 86, 60, 80, 0 and the like. He is trying to get it to go as fast as he could and ever time it flow through the air the speedo would fall to 0 and then spike to the speed. About half way down what what I would guess was the leg to the first turn we just fell into a hole. We were bouncing across average seas of about 2's and 3's and it felt like we fell about 6 or more into this hole. We lend at the bottom smooth enough but, the other side acted as a huge ramp and up we go. Thankful I sent it straight but, we had just taken a wicked moon shot bow to the moon taking off. I began to count, " One thousand one, one thousand two," as I take my protective posture, That of lower myself as I brace myself close the steering wheel and continued to count, " one thousand three,

Jim
IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #64 - Sep 26th, 2013 at 10:01pm

One thousand four" , before the boat landed stern first. Part of the reason I lower myself is the next thing that usually happens is the bow gets slammed down and the occupants experience negative G's and get effectively pulled out of the boat. I was prepared Martin did not have the same thought. The throttle guys statistically get hurt more when this type of thing happens. In part because they are holding a rail with one hand where the trim switches are operated with their thumbs and the other hand is on the throttles. They can not let go of either. So as we experience the moment of negative G's Martin gets sucked out of his bolster. and when the boat hit the next seas bow first drives likely still on the air he gets slammed in the the next bolster slot close to me. It just so happened that his pant leg of his shorts come down over the throttles on my side. SO he lands holding them wide open with his pants as he is grabbing for something to hold on to and off the next see we go still traveling at some high speed around 60 and into the air again. This time in the air we both are grabbing what we could to free the throttles and stop the boat. Miraculously neither of us are hurt as the boat falls off plane and we began to access what had just happened. " Holy Shit. that was close" Are you OK I asked? He was and I don't remember what he said but I do remember the engine alarms were going off. One of the engines was over heating. I also noticed the bow rail was loose on my side near the bow and it was bouncing around free about 4 feet worth. We idled back on the one engine and trailered the boat and checked for damages. The one engine intake hose was jammed up and kinked on top of the u joint bellows. The bow was in need of some structural glass work on the inside. The hull to deck bond was broke about 6 or 8 feet along the the starboard side. The second bulkhead was loose the section were the love seats would be was loose against the hull side. All this needed to be

Jim
IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #65 - Sep 26th, 2013 at 10:12pm

repaired before we race in the morning. Reggie used to always always have a glass guy at the worlds it fix what was needed. Martin went to get him. He came and we looked at it together. He stated he had many repairs to make and did not think he had time to complete this too. I asked if he could laminate it if I prepared it and he said yes. He gave me the tools I needed and I proceeded to grind glass for about 6 hours before I headed back to the room for a shower, diner and sleep. Davids guys replaced the impellers and readied the engines. After the drivers meeting the next morning the we returned to the boat and found the glass guy worked all night and the boat was ready. We raced as planned. Our boats younger sister the Parts Runner boat I had driven in Sarasota won everything that year. We left Key West bruised and humbled. We then headed to St Pete to race the other orgs Championships scheduled the following week.

Jim
IP Logged

In2Deep
Veteran Austin Boater

Lake Travis / LOTO Boater

Lake Travis/ LOTO
Reply #66 - Sep 27th, 2013 at 9:32am

Great thread here.

One experience I will never forget is also from Lake Powell.  Had a boating friend who was part OWNER (not timeshare) of a 100' state of the art luxury houseboat.  Fully equipped, and with 4 brand new jetskis.

So the family and I drag I2D from L.A. to Page, AZ, and we go out on Powell for 10 days on this amazing houseboat, with I2D in tow.  We anchored in 3 different locations on Powell -- each for about 3 days.  I believe we made it about 60 miles up the lake.

I can't even begin to describe how amazing -- in fact spiritual -- this trip was for me.  Between waking up early in a deserted cove, desert and cliffs all around, to spending the entire day...every day...boating, tubing, jetski'ing around, to ending the day with amazing food, relaxing on the upper deck, listening to xm satellite, watching the sun go down, and just staring at the crystal clear, star-filled skies every night.

I believe that everyone who loves being on the water...MUST put a Powell houseboat trip on their bucket list.

As we were leaving and headed back to the concrete jungle of L.A. -- I vowed to return to Powell -- and hope to do that someday.

I2D

...and now a message from our sponsors

IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #67 - Sep 27th, 2013 at 9:40am

My opinion relating to Bad Hops. I would like to say I understand people see things differently boats are a unique vehicle in many respects. As they begin to exceed 50 mph they can begin to operate in two drastically different mediums. Water and air are very different. Water is unforgiving and potentially very dangerous.  As the boat speed increases further it can begin to operate more equally in both as the boat begins to fly. As speed increases stresses  increase exponentially. Porpoising is one example that could be explained as trying to fly more but, the water keeps grabbing it and holding it back.

Back to Bad hops. I believe if you run a boat fast and hard enough you will take some bad hops. Water is irregular and they happen regardless of skill level, boat type and caution. Just like a dirt bike you ride it you fall. You get better you ride it harder yet continue to fall on occasion. 

I have witnessed and experienced many bad hops. Some have critically hurt people. Some of those did not even appear to be too bad. Some are ugly and every aspect and yet no one gets injured. Many times the boat gets damaged.

I  apply everything I have learned by running countless different race and sport pleasure boats in to each and every boat ride . I have flipped, cartwheeled, crashed, ejected many of my friends and even my self during my life lessons boating. I have been lucky to be invited to race expensive boats.

No body is immune from having bad hops. I express how to anyone that will listen you should always pay attention, trim the boat in such a way as it will never lose sight of the horizon, you must operate while assuming something will sneak up on you and try to disrupt the boat.

I hope I have taken all the bad hops for a life time, but I know that is not realistic because I like to run hard. SO I make sure I have done everything humanly possible to ensure my steering will not fail and my boat is sound and things are how they should be without compromise.

Jim
IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #68 - Sep 27th, 2013 at 9:48am

Be Safe everyone every time you head out.

Jim
IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #69 - Sep 28th, 2013 at 12:37pm

mobileMERCman wrote on Sep 26th, 2013 at 10:12pm:
repaired before we race in the morning. Reggie used to always always have a glass guy at the worlds it fix what was needed. Martin went to get him. He came and we looked at it together. He stated he had many repairs to make and did not think he had time to complete this too. I asked if he could laminate it if I prepared it and he said yes. He gave me the tools I needed and I proceeded to grind glass for about 6 hours before I headed back to the room for a shower, diner and sleep. Davids guys replaced the impellers and readied the engines. After the drivers meeting the next morning the we returned to the boat and found the glass guy worked all night and the boat was ready. We raced as planned. Our boats younger sister the Parts Runner boat I had driven in Sarasota won everything that year. We left Key West bruised and humbled. We then headed to St Pete to race the other orgs Championships scheduled the following week.

That's scary as hell. Stories like that show why offshore racing is so much more hairy than anything you can do on a race track.

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Reply #70 - Sep 28th, 2013 at 2:37pm

agreed!

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #71 - Sep 28th, 2013 at 3:54pm

I have so many more I could share.

The week following the Key West Races and and bad hop lead us to St Petersburg Florida for the APBA Worlds. '99 Was the Factory class Hay Day. There were almost 30 F2 boats from around the country there to race. It was a two race championship format. It was pretty cool the pits were in a waterfront part and the cranes were in front of the Vanoy the Host Hotel. After the first day of racing Richy Rich of Warlock Powerboats put up 10K for a Grudge Match, for all the boats that did not finish well in the first race and consequentially were out of the running for the championship simply by the poor finish in such a large fleet.  We were among them and choose to participate. At the line up for the start the pace boat ran us down nearly the entire first leg trying to get a perfect start. I was screaming, Let us go , Let us go" , in my helmet to Martin. Finally with just about a mile or less left to go before the first turn they released us to race. We were a few boats from the inside lane as well approached the first left hand turn. Dick Simon in a Formula was just ahead of us aiming to be the first to the first turn. We were looking to challenge him and pass him on the inside. They had cut us off the day before and I expected something similar today. Things happen so fast Martin and I rarely spoke during a race. We would rely solely on instinct. He knew what I was going to do And I knew he was not going to ever back off the throttles. SO as we approached the turn on the inside I knew Dick would not leave me any room so just after  he turned over his left shoulder to see were we were I moved to the opposite side of is wake to give us more of a sweeping line to attack the turn. As he looked in to see where I used to be I turned in and crossed his wake as we entered the turn. My aim was to pass him on the inside. Martin was always stayed in the throttle Wide open. As a crossed the wake the boat bounced a little and I had to re catch it

Jim
IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #72 - Sep 28th, 2013 at 4:09pm

Before I through it hard into the turn. I got it turned and sliding as we usually did and began to push the boat harder in to the turn than I knew it was willing to tolerate. It was sliding and carving as Dick was turning as hard as he could to close the space I was aiming for. I cam to realize it was not going to make  the pass before the pin and he was not going to yield. Understand this was all happening in a matter of 100 yards or so at 85 plus mph. Since I knew it was not going to be able to make the pass I allowed the boat to drift through his spray as I released it from such a hard sliding turn. I was thinking I would just chase him down and try again next turn. Well things don't always go as planned. As we drifted though his spray in front of his rooster tail, something I learned is never a good idea looking back, The boat got thrown in the air. It was still headed where I had pointed it but it was know upside down. Richy Rich and a dozen or so boats were behind and around us. Richy said he saw us fall out of the boat when it was about 10 feet in the air upside down. Good thing, not that landing in front of racing boats is good but it was better then staying in the boat that ended up bouncing on its deck and planing on the the fairing like part of the bottom. It happened so fast one moment I am thinking about the next turn and the next moment I am in the water shaking my head. I look around and see Martin. I immediately swim toward him to see if he was OK and when I reached him he signaled he was. I turn to see the boat right side up with water crashing in over the back of the boat where the engine hatches used to be. It was about an inch form going under. In the drivers meetings we are always instructed to follow the rescue divers instructions. They were jumping in the water form the helicopter over head to assist. All I wanted to do was make sure the boat did not sink and swam toward it as tone of the divers was trying to assist me. They called me and I

Jim
IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #73 - Sep 28th, 2013 at 4:17pm

shook my head No and went for the boat. I climbed on the the swim deck and looked in. Both engine alarms were sounding and the water was up to the base of the carburaters. I had lost a shoe and was standing with one and one wet sock. I throw the remaining shoe and socks into the cockpit so I could climb there myself. the wster was about waist deep in the thingy pit too and the boat was moments form going under. I figured what the heck I might as well see if the engines will start. I cranked one and could hear it was junk after ingesting water WOT. It cranked but it sounded like a grinder. The other just the same. I flipped on the bilge pump switches and went to feel if water was actually pumping out and it was. I then proceeded to secure a tow line on the bow eye and get it under tow. I was satisfied now it was not going to sink and surrendered myself to a safety boat. I jumped back in the water swam to them and the plucked me out and brought me to the in field care boat, a 40 foot something sedan cruiser where I found Martin getting his arm stitched up. The race never stopped and we remained here until it was over.

Jim
IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #74 - Sep 28th, 2013 at 9:50pm

Here are some pix

Jim
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care