Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  If your significant other gets jealous of your boat, you belong here.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Raw duel smell (Read 3939 times)
livesound
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

austin tx
Raw duel smell
Aug 4th, 2013 at 11:01am

Hey guys i have in my boat a indmar vortec 350 with a rochester tbi.  lately when im pulling a rider or cruising,  i throttle down and smell what i think i a raw fuel smell.  i cant find any fuel leaks.  i thought maybe its time to rebuild the tbi or put in new fuel injectors?  possible stuck fuel injector?  some one else brought up a exhaust leak?  but i think i know the diffrence between raw fuel and exhaust.  problem is i have searched for a fuel leak and think i would have noticed if it was an exhaust leak,  any suggestions.

2001 Mastercraft X-10 sold and gone Sad
2012 Mastercraft X-25 jury is still out LOL

IP Logged

JC
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Cedar Park
Re: Raw duel smell
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2013 at 9:31pm

Could pull the access plate for the fuel sender and sniff for fuel. If you can access the fuel fill line and fuel tank vent lines, might wanna check those for leaks.

29 Fever w/twin BBC

IP Logged

livesound
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

austin tx
Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 11:09am

i have looked there, of course on of the problems i am having is i only smell it when under a load.  so when im at my dock looking for things i cant find any thing.  i was at the fuel tank didnt see anything.  but i can take another look.

IP Logged

JC
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Cedar Park
Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 1:46am

Not really familiar with marine TBI systems, but on an automotive system, when the key is turned on, the elec fuel pump comes on for a few seconds and pressurizes the sys. If a fuel inj is not shutting off completely, you should be able to see it leaking.

Have you pulled the plugs and checked for symptoms of running rich (like wet and/or dark colored insulators)?

If you have a MAP sensor, check the condition of the vacuum line connecting it to the intake. If it's leaking, the computer will think the eng is under more of a load that it really is and will add more fuel.

29 Fever w/twin BBC

IP Logged

livesound
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

austin tx
Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 9:48am

thats a good one,  i didnt think of that.  yes when i changed the plugs about a month ago, 6 and 8 were discolored and smelled of fuel.  but i did cap and roter and that seemend to fix that.  but the exhaust seems to smell like it running a little rich.  but the boat runs great.  and i mean great.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care