Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Tell your friends, the more the merrier!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starboard exhaust elbow is hotter than port (Read 10631 times)
Blessed
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Steiner Ranch
Starboard exhaust elbow is hotter than port
Jun 7th, 2013 at 7:54pm

Hello all,
  I have been a member of ABF now for about a year or so and enjoy reading everyone's posts.  It is now time for me to make my first post.  I have a problem with my exhaust elbows, maybe.  I have taken the boat out several times this year after replacing impeller this winter, but on Memorial weekend we were on LBJ and seem to suck up some sand.  The engine overheated and I shut it down right away.  The next day I removed all the cooling hoses and back flushed them.  There didn't seem to be much sand in the hoses.  So I put back in the lake.  Upon starting back up, the temp rose on the gauge like normal, hit about 180, then dropped down to about 160. I was checking for leaks when I noticed the starboard side exhaust elbow was very hot.  Way hotter than port side.  So with that I went ahead and shut it down for the weekend.  Thought maybe there was a clog in the manifold or something.  So today I stopped by Ski Dock and picked up some riser gaskets, and replaced riser gaskets.  The inside of the manifold, center riser, and exhaust elbow all looked cleaned.  Put it all back together, and still have same problem.  It seems like the water coming out of t-stat housing on starboard side is hotter than water going to port side???  Sorry to blab for so long, just wanted to get whole story out.  It is in a 2000 27 Fastech with 502 mag, with a bravo.  Thanks for any help or advice.  By the way, very cool forum ya'll.

IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Re: Starboard exhaust elbow is hotter than port
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 8:53pm

there has to a blockage some where.  water is not going through the starboard side as freely as the port.  the bad part is that since it was sand it could be anywhere and could have a gate or valve stuck.

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 8:54pm

When you had the riser off did you flow water through it and specifically confirm the outlet part was clear?

Water finds the easiest path. Not sure how the thermostat housing can discriminate. It is all about flow. It is not uncommon that one is a little hotter then the other. Can you hold your hand on it or not? Is it getting that hot at idle?

Jim
IP Logged

Blessed
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Steiner Ranch
Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 9:23pm

Thank y'all for the quick replies.  Nathan, not sure where a valve might be.  I have heard about a roller ball in the t-stat housing, but thought they were on older engines??  I think I will pull the t-stat housing tomorrow morning and check it out.

Jim, while I had it all apart, I ran CLR thru all the openings in the center riser and the elbow.  I do get water out the exhaust outlets on the back of the boat.  It just seems like the water coming out of the t-stat housing going to the bottom of the manifold on the starboard side is hotter than port.  I can hold my hand on the port elbow, but not the starboard.  By the way Jim, I think I meet you through a mutual friend of ours 'Randy', and you serviced my alpha drive on my old boat.  You still have the Fountain 10 meter?

Thanks again for the help y'all.

IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 9:32pm

Are you making these observations while the boat is in the water or on the hose? If water is coming out both sides equally in the water run it and check the temp on each riser at a fast idle. It is not possible to completely diagnose temp issues on a hose.

Jim
IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 10:31pm

Regarding the balls and springs in the thermostat housing. If you have them they will be in the top hoses leading directly to the risers. The function of them is to allow the increased flow of water at high rpm out. The springs are supposed to hold the balls in the closed position at low rpm's to force water thru the manifolds. I suppose it is possible some debris is holding one open but not sure how it would make the riser hot. It is also likely you damaged your new impeller. Check for flow with boat in the water.

Its a little messy but in some cases it can be helpful to visually inspect flow thru hoses one at a time. While in the water. Again running it on a hose to troubleshoot flow issues is a waste of time. You can only confirm water is pumping. Exhaust manifold will over heat when allowed to run too long on a hose.

Jim
IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 10:33pm

Yes, I do have a friend named Randy and have a 10 Meter.

Jim
IP Logged

Blessed
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Steiner Ranch
Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 6:12pm

So this weekend, I took apart the whole cooling system, and back flushed it from the t-stat housing back thru the outdrive.  I went ahead and replaced the t-stat with a new 160 degree.  There was still some sand and pebbles in the cooling system.  Went ahead and replaced all the riser gaskets, and new impeller and housing.  Now the risers both run cooler.  I can put my hands on them both without risk of 3rd degree burns.  I put the boat in the lake and ran it.  The engine temp is around 160 during idle, and climbs up to about 180 when I get it on plane and run it about 55 or so at 4000-4500 rpm.  I think that seems about right??  Thanks Jim for quick responses and the great info.  This is a great forum. 

IP Logged

LookSquirrel
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Libertyhill, TX
Reply #8 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 2:28pm

I am having the same problem the starboard pipe is too hot to touch after running. I only ran it for about 30 min then I took it home water was coming out of both pipes in the lake and when on the hose. Then I went over the water inlet lines from the drive. I saw the inlet was going into the bottom of the impeller so I switched the water lines so that the inlet was on top now I have no water coming out of the exhaust.

1. Should the inlet hose be on the top of the fresh water pump.

2001 ultra rigged by prime marine
2006 H2
No payments...
LookSquirrel  
IP Logged

LookSquirrel
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Libertyhill, TX
Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 3:14pm

Fresh water is getting to the pump just not the motor

If the pump wasn't sealed correctly would it cause the pump not to prime.

2006 H2
No payments...
LookSquirrel  
IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #10 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 3:57pm

Any air leak on the intake side will prevent water from pumping. Air draws easier. Thus no water.

Jim
IP Logged

JC
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Cedar Park
Reply #11 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 9:56am

I was taking some temp measurements with my IR temp gun the other day and discovered one manifold riser hose was running warmer than the other. I ran engine up to abt 1500 rpm and squeezed shut the hotter hose a few times for a few seconds each time. After a few times the colder riser hose heated-up and remained closely matched to the other. Must have forced some blockage out of the colder side. This only works if you have the soft-type water hoses.

29 Fever w/twin BBC

IP Logged

LookSquirrel
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Libertyhill, TX
Reply #12 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 10:08am

The left side of my thermostat housing is running hot the cold water is only on the right. I have the stock housing but it looks like the one attached.

2006 H2
No payments...
LookSquirrel  
IP Logged

LookSquirrel
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Libertyhill, TX
Reply #13 - Aug 1st, 2013 at 11:52pm

Is that caused by an air leak

2006 H2
No payments...
LookSquirrel  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care