Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  If your significant other gets jealous of your boat, you belong here.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LCRA Vote on new Water Management Plan is Feb 22 (Read 5897 times)
Stimulus Package
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

LCRA Vote on new Water Management Plan is Feb 22
Feb 19th, 2012 at 9:23am

Everyone who can make it needs to attend the open-to-the-public LCRA Board vote on whether to implement the WMP "as is" or a back-room version the rice farmers and several LCRA board members who are sympathetic to the farmers made on Jan 31 without the interests of Lake Travis business owners present.  Unfortunately 78 years of no oversight makes the LCRA feel they can do whatever they want.  Half their board members are Rice Farmers.

The vote may not pass in any case for either version.  It will be close.  Feb 22 9am-10am at LCRA headquarters on Austin Blvd.  The public needs to be there to support the proposed WMP and see the type of politics that drive OUR lake health.

WWW.ourwater-ourfuture.com

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Re: LCRA Vote on new Water Management Plan is Feb 22
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2012 at 9:55am

Oh that's just freaking lovely. I wish I was in Austin and not Fort Worth, I'd like to see this circus in action.

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

Stimulus Package
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 2:40pm

It passed 10-5.  I cannot believe that a full 1/3 of the board voted down a WMP that was developed by environmenatlists (Sierra Club involved) Rice Farmers, lake-area businesses/Central Texas residents and the LCRA.  All four groups agreed to the plan and sent it to the board for approval.  Then the plan was changed up significantly in a back-room deal on Jan 31 between rice farmer reps and LCRA staffers.  Only 2 of the 4 groups were represented.  So this was a watered down (no pun) version weighted toward the rice farmers and still a full 1/3 of the board rejected it.  78 years of no oversight leads to this kind of arrogance.

IP Logged

Stimulus Package
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 2:47pm

I stand corrected:

Board members voted down the amendment proposed by Arbuckle that would have eased impacts on rice farmers. Board member Franklin Scott Spears Jr. called the “11th hour” amendment “unfair,” and was one of nine board members to vote it down.

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 5:11pm

Any information on what the expected impacts of this will be?

WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 5:18pm

Quote:
One farmer told YNN that ironically, the recent rains have flooded his fields, meaning he can't plant his crops until the water goes down.

Ha Smiley

http://austin.ynn.com/content/headlines/283214/lcra-gives-go-ahead-to-new-water-...

WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 7:33pm

I hope this helps all.  but the rice farmer's fields being flooded is funny.  shows that carma can be a female dog lol

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

Stimulus Package
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 11:00am

I posted this on the Lake Travis, ooops, I am sorry, Reservoir Travis forum, but will post here as well.  Rising lake levels need to slow down until March 1!!

However, the fast-rising lake levels have added an extra layer of uncertainty for those whose livelihoods depend on the LCRA. Under a drought-related emergency plan that's currently in effect, if the combined lake levels (now at 823,000 acre-feet) rise to 850,000 acre-feet by March 1 — something that seemed nearly impossible until last week's storm — a large quantity of water (125,000 acre-feet) will be released this spring for the rice farmers. If the lakes don't rise enough by March 1, most farmers dependent on the LCRA will be out of luck.

Farmers and people who live around the lakes are checking the lake levels daily. Lakeside residents fear that a huge release of water to the farmers would negate the effects of the rain.

"The rain is bad news this week," Terrel Cass, who spoke for a Spicewood group called the 9/11 Lake Crisis Group, told the board. The reason, he said, is that the condition of Lake Travis is already "horrible," and it will fall below its levels of two weeks ago if water is released for farmers.

Farmers aren't ready for the water, because, ironically, all the rain has made it hard to prepare the rice fields for a crop, said Ronald Gertson, a rice farmer from Wharton County. Also, he noted, while some farmers are eager for the water, others are already planning to get crop insurance.

IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 11:53pm

Stimulus Package wrote on Feb 23rd, 2012 at 11:00am:
Farmers aren't ready for the water, because, ironically, all the rain has made it hard to prepare the rice fields for a crop, said Ronald Gertson, a rice farmer from Wharton County. Also, he noted, while some farmers are eager for the water, others are already planning to get crop insurance.

carma can be a female dog!!

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care