Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Tell your friends, the more the merrier!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sunsation's first service (Read 2908 times)
g
Veteran Austin Boater

Banished to an island
Sunsation's first service
Jan 12th, 2012 at 2:40pm

Hi Guys.  Wanted to give you some feedback on a recent service on my new boat.  As you know, I recently purchased a 2006 32 Sunsation from a broker in Kemah, TX.  The boat was advertised as a fresh water boat, but a few phone calls to the Sunsation factory and one look at the boat, I determined that it certainly was not a freshwater boat.  The boat's first owner was a Destin, Florida boater and the second owner was a Conroe, TX boater.  So, the second owner was a freshwater user.  The boat was very well taken care of, but still had indications of corrosion in the bilge, some surface rust on the engine pulleys, and salt evidence in the thru-hull fittings.  I naturally had concerns and hired a surveyor to a complete survey.  The surveyor gave the boat a very good clean bill of health and pointed out all the areas needing attention from the salt water use. 

So, last week I dropped the boat with Jim Speros (mobilemercman) and asked him to do a complete annual to give me a good baseline for my regular service intervals.  In addition to the fluids/drive alignment, Jim identified a number of areas needing attention from salt water use (and some areas of corrosion from sitting for six months at the boat dealer in Kemah (down on the Texas Gulf Coast).  He not only cleaned up the rust, but also repainted parts where required and applied some corrosion prevention to the motors.  Jim also found that the IMCO external steering bushings were deteriorating (can't blame that completely on the salt, likely over tightened by a previous mechanic).  He also found several NYLOC nuts that were cracked and replaced those.  We also replaced all the spark plugs on the port motor because we found that a few of them were fouled, presumably from bad fuel (boat sat for 6 months before I bought it). 

Thanks to Jim's excellent attention to detail, all evidence of the boat's previous salt use is now history and the boat runs great.

2006 32 Sunsation SS MCOB
2007 2500HD Allison/Duramax
2007 Corvette C6

IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Re: Sunsation's first service
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 7:08am

I have never heard a bad word on Jim.  he works on alot of the bass boats on the other forum I am on.  seems to be a great guy.

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 1:43pm

I have the missing paint from salt problem is well, what all was involved with repainting those spots?

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

g
Veteran Austin Boater

Banished to an island
Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 3:19pm

Captain YARRR wrote on Jan 13th, 2012 at 1:43pm:
I have the missing paint from salt problem is well, what all was involved with repainting those spots?

When he replaced the impellers, he pulled all the pulley's off, wire brushed them and repainted with hi-temp black paint.  He also cleaned up a few spots on the motors as well.

2006 32 Sunsation SS MCOB
2007 2500HD Allison/Duramax
2007 Corvette C6

IP Logged

In2Deep
Veteran Austin Boater

Lake Travis / LOTO Boater

Lake Travis/ LOTO
Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 8:56am

Great to know that we have a solid merc mechanic in the neighborhood. I've heard good things about Jim.

...and now a message from our sponsors

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care