Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  We are moving to TexasBoatForums.com, come on over and visit!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BoatPix.com was out last night, anyone get pics? (Read 3044 times)
PDubs
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Austin
BoatPix.com was out last night, anyone get pics?
Aug 20th, 2011 at 4:08pm

Wife and I were cruising back last night and a low-flying helicopter was going up and down the lake. I saw "BOATPIX.COM" on one of their floaters after they took our pic. Just curious if anyone has seen their pics from these guys. Very random, never seen them before.

IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Re: BoatPix.com was out last night, anyone get pics?
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 9:40pm

seems kind of wierd.  they seem to just go around taking pictures of boat and then they don't contact the owner about it.  I would be mad if they took pictures of my boat and used them without my knowledge.  according to their web site here is their prices

Quote:
Question:  How much do pictures cost ? 

Answer:  Helicopters are expensive and the cost is recovered in the pictures. Our least expensive picture is a huge 16”x20” color picture, about the size of a 25” TV for $250 or three for $500. These are SUPER high quality portraits that are more like art work. We remove stains, barnacles, blemishes and fenders from your boat and make it look like new. For slightly more, you can also buy the digital files which are suitable for publication in any magazine on the planet. 

and

Quote:
Question:  How much more are the digital files ?

Answer:  $500 for one file. $750 for two files and $1000 for all the files. If you don’t need the files, just buy a picture. If you want to make a brochure, shirts, advertisements, sell the boat or lots of pictures you’ll need the digital files. If you buy the files we’ll make you pictures at 90% off our retail so you can take advantage or our color knowledge. Please contact us directly for more information at: 561.798.9850. 

there is also a 25 dollar shipping charge. they are based out of florida.  there website makes it sound like they are doing you a favor taking pictures of your boat.

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

PDubs
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Austin
Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 1:43am

Yeah it seems borderline shady: no preview available and only buy what you keep after paying for shipping. Like they can't figure out how to put something on the web with at least a large watermark. Such a strange business model if it is, in fact, legit.

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 8:17pm

You always see aerial pictures of people's boats with watermarks. I wonder if there's more legit companies.

I've seen this helicopter around before.

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

Stimulus Package
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 1:40pm

I have used them twice.  Once with my SeaRay and then once with Stimulus Package.  Incredibly nice pics.  Expensive, but where else can you get arial shots of your boat flying across the water for this kind of price?  Simply go on their website and type in your boat's Registration number.  Give them your credit card number and they will mail you the pics.  You have a few weeks to make up your mind.  Send back the pics you don't want.  They will only bill you for the pics you keep.  They have been around for several decades, this is the business model that works best for them, they will not post your pics anywhere without you permission?  What is the matter with a little business entrepreneurship?   Smiley

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 6:39pm

Definitely can't fault anyone for running a successful business!

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care