Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Boat safe! Have a great time on the lakes here!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
thank you to a great boater (Read 3239 times)
nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
thank you to a great boater
Aug 15th, 2010 at 11:12pm

I want to send huge thank you to a fellower old boat boater on lake georgetown.  we took old timer out to georgetown today for another water test and things didn't go as planned.  when we unloaded OT was running great and the carb seemed to be great.  we left the dock and OT planed quickly and was running great.  we anchored in a quiet cove right by the camp grounds of jim hog park.  there we all had a great time swimming and playing.  I found out that my one year old is a dare devil because she figured out that she could slide down one of the platforms side rails into the water.  everyone had a great time.  but then when headed back to the ramp OT started to just die.  I figured out that she was not getting gas to the carb.  We tried to flag people down for a while then me and my brother started to swim to the shore (which was a few 100 feet away) while pulling the boat with us.  we were just about to the bank when a guy and girl in an older glastron (nice boat) stopped to help.  He towed us back to the dock and told us that he was on a water test too.  I wished him luck on his water test and asked if there was anything I could do.  He just said get my boat fixed and back on the water because he feels the same as I do about old boats.  He didn't give me his name just told us to have a great night and goos luck fixing the boat.  All I can say is thank you if you are on this forum.

As for Old Timer she is probably down for the rest of the season. I am going to pull the entire fuel system from the tank forward. This way i can see what I need to fix the gas guage. I am also going to get the altenator tested and do a tune up. i am also going to pull the rutter and drive shaft to replace to repack the stuffing boxes. Also work on redoing the seats that needs the wood redone. A lot of work ahead but when she is done we will be able to take her out without worry. I never want that feeling that I had today again of helplessness espcially with my kids there. never again

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

Owtlaw
Austin Boater

Round Rock, TX
Re: thank you to a great boater
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 7:07am

I'm assuming you changed the fuel filters already.  You may have a small one in the carb as well as the inline.  Next I'd suspect the anti-siphon valve or the tank vent.  Spiders love fuel tank vents.  Wink

Owtlaw
Currently Boatless

IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 7:23am

no fuel filter on the carbs but a big one inline that looks like an oil filter.  I plan to pull the tank to check the inside of it and to check the sending unit since the gauge is not working.  After this weekend I have decide to go through everything before we put it back on the water, instead of a piece at a time.

current boats:
nathanb42  
IP Logged

Owtlaw
Austin Boater

Round Rock, TX
Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 12:02pm

Good plan if the tank is easy to pull. Removing the filter canister and pouring the fuel in it into a glass jar and letting it settle can tell you a lot as well.

Owtlaw
Currently Boatless

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 8:07am

Sorry to hear she let you down. That helpless feeling is pretty terrible. Hope ya get her back together before it starts cooling down.

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 8:14am

Its ok.  part of trying to get her on the water before she was ready.  the stuff I am about to do is a normal maintance for a boat that has been sitting for 10 years.  thing I knew I was going to have to do but I hoped I could put it off untill the off season.  I have monday off because caasidi starts kindergarden so i will be working on her this weekend and monday.  pulling the tank is easy it is right behind the back seat and is attached just like a car's tank.  in the end it was still a good time on the water this weekend.  now i get to tinker which is what I love to do  Grin

current boats:
nathanb42  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care