Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  A great place to talk about the lake when you aren't on it.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lost another anchor: what am I doing wrong? (Read 8039 times)
Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Lost another anchor: what am I doing wrong?
Apr 5th, 2010 at 9:28pm

I've lost a total of about three anchors in the last year. This is getting expensive and is very annoying.

Most of my problems have been on Lake Travis of course. Lost one in Belton.

Let me know what I'm doing wrong or if there's some room for improvement. Here's what I'm doing:

We were in Devil's Cove. Threw it out and a little extra line. I pulled back with the boat a little bit and it set. Come time to reel it in, I give it a yank up and no go. I pull the boat forward so I'm on top of it. Pull on it. No go. I pull forward more so the line is under the boat. I'm figuring that's the opposite of how it set, so this should pop it loose. No go. I turn the boat a bit and give a little throttle, no go. After that, I give it a few minutes and let the boat settle back to where it was. I go forward to the opposite side of where it set, give it a little throttle and the line snaps. At that point I was just going to cut it loose anyway, so no big deal.

Thoughts on how I can improve the chances of getting an anchor back? Besides the obvious choices of: don't go to Devil's Cove, find someone to raft up with or don't use your anchor. Smiley

Thanks guys!

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Re: Lost another anchor: what am I doing wrong?
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 10:41pm

don't set it with the boat.  set it by hand and you will be able to get it back.  I have yelled at the water before but never lost an anchor.  if you set it with the boat it will set too hard or deep.  just like if you get a hook in your finger, if it goes pass the barb it is harder to get out.  it may take longer and may annoy you more but if you set it by hand you will lose less anchors!!

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 8:26am

That makes sense. Although the first couple anchors I lost were set just tossing it out and waiting for it to catch. But it does make sense that it would increase my odds.

WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

Shaka
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Round Rock, Texas
Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 8:35am

[email][/email]What kind of anchor have you been using?

IP Logged

In2Deep
Veteran Austin Boater

Lake Travis / LOTO Boater

Lake Travis/ LOTO
Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 12:23pm

That's unfortunate.  I guess anchors will get stuck from time to time -- if get tangled up in an underwater obstacle.  That said, I highly recommend the Box Anchor.  Look it up online.  I've had one for many years now -- and are without question the best anchor a boater can have.   Sets every time, doesn't need a chain, and the design is less prone to getting snagged, I think.  Haven't lost one yet.

Highly recommended.

I2D

...and now a message from our sponsors

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:24pm

Shaka: I've been using a slip ring fluke style.

I2D: I am looking at those in the Overton catalog right now and they look fantastic. But I would be so much more pissed off losing a $169 anchor.

WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

Owtlaw
Austin Boater

Round Rock, TX
Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 7:17pm

Yeah, backing it down to set the anchor increases the possibility you lose it, but you should still be able to break it free.

First off, a proper rode length will help the anchor set without having to really bury it by backing it down.  General recommendation is a 7 to 1 scope (length of rode) to depth ratio and at least as much chain as the boat is long.  Having gotten that out of the way, it's huge overkill when you're just anchoring for lunch!  If I were overnighting and wanted to actually sleep well, I'll be using 7 to 1.  For a casual anchor, I find 3 to 1 to be sufficient, and I rarely drag.  Also anchoring in a muddy or sandy bottom at Travis (which will be just about anywhere except the side of a drop) is best for setting and avoiding snags when retrieving.

My retrieval method works pretty well, and I haven't lost an anchor since I got this boat 2 years ago, and for a while before that with other boats.  I bring in the rode by hand and keep it wrapped around a cleat.  When I reach the point where it starts trying to play out again (which is when you are over the anchor) I cleat it off and wait a few seconds.  10 or so.  Then try to snug it up again and much as I can and cleat it off again.  Repeat a few times and it will pop free.  What you are doing is using the boat's bobbing in the water to pull the anchor straight up.  If you are not hung on something, it WILL come free.  You just have to be patient.

Unless you are out of beer...... then you just cut the damn rode.  Grin

Owtlaw
Currently Boatless

IP Logged

In2Deep
Veteran Austin Boater

Lake Travis / LOTO Boater

Lake Travis/ LOTO
Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 3:42pm

Quote:
I2D: I am looking at those in the Overton catalog right now and they look fantastic. But I would be so much more pissed off losing a $169 anchor

Insider tip:  go to the Slide Anchor website.   Email or give 'em a call.  They're in Lake Havasu City.  Ask for Ryan, and see what he might be able to do for you.

...and now a message from our sponsors

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #8 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 4:41pm

Owtlaw wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 at 7:17pm:
My retrieval method works pretty well, and I haven't lost an anchor since I got this boat 2 years ago, and for a while before that with other boats.  I bring in the rode by hand and keep it wrapped around a cleat.  When I reach the point where it starts trying to play out again (which is when you are over the anchor) I cleat it off and wait a few seconds.  10 or so.  Then try to snug it up again and much as I can and cleat it off again.  Repeat a few times and it will pop free.  What you are doing is using the boat's bobbing in the water to pull the anchor straight up.  If you are not hung on something, it WILL come free.  You just have to be patient.

This is a new method on me, I'll definitely give it a try. Visualizing how the slip ring anchor works, it makes a lot of sense that it would work.

I just got back from Academy and bought some better rope, a new chain and another anchor. $50 bucks later I have a new rig. I bought the anchor rated for a 22' boat and am having some second thoughts. My last anchor was one I drug up from the bottom of Devil's Cove with another anchor. It was the size rated up to a 18' boat. It worked great.

So what I am wondering is, would it be in my interest, since I keep losing anchors...that I should be running a smaller one?

WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

Owtlaw
Austin Boater

Round Rock, TX
Reply #9 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 5:23pm

Bigger is always better.  Conventional wisdom is to buy a size larger than recommended.

Owtlaw
Currently Boatless

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #10 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 7:03pm

Thats why I've been running larger ones, but it doesn't seem like setting has been an issue Smiley It's been working TOO well!

WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

waitui
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Austin Texas
Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2010 at 3:46pm

There's trees down there, that's what you're probably getting hung up on...

1998 Wellcraft Costal 240 - WaiTui

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2010 at 5:15pm

Last weekend I was out I did Owtlaw's trick and it worked great. But when I busted it loose once, I came up with a big ass snapped off branch. It was a helluva workout pulling that thing out of the water LOL.

WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

horns98
Austin Boater

Hook 'em horns!

Reply #13 - May 7th, 2010 at 2:22pm

Look how well you are doing now!

2001 Sea Ray 190 Signature

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #14 - May 8th, 2010 at 8:05am

Don't jinx me dammit Tongue

WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care