Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  If your significant other gets jealous of your boat, you belong here.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Heat exchanger end cap failure (Read 4096 times)
In2Deep
Veteran Austin Boater

Lake Travis / LOTO Boater

Lake Travis/ LOTO
Heat exchanger end cap failure
Aug 26th, 2014 at 8:59am

I always check in the engine bay before heading out.  Noticed a very slow drip the other day, and tracked it down to one of right/front end cap of the heat exchanger on my 496HO.  Closer look revealed I had a significant crack in the cover.  Found the part and related gasket and o-ring in stock here in Laurie.  Lucky me.  Easy fix (5 minutes).  That heat exchanger moves quite a bit of water, so I consider myself fortunate that I caught this before it let go all the way.  3 seasons ago I removed both end caps to inspect and clean out the tubes -- so i think this failure likely traces back to me perhaps over-tightening this cap. 

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t210/In2Deep3/crackedheatexchangerRFcover.jpg

...and now a message from our sponsors

IP Logged

XX14NORDICRAGE
Land Lubber

San Antonio Navy

San Antonio
Re: Heat exchanger end cap failure
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 2:19pm

That's sketchy. I did the same with mine a while back. Think I'll do an inspection.   Thanks for the heads up and have a safe trip home.

IP Logged

g
Veteran Austin Boater

Banished to an island
Re: Heat exchanger end cap failure
Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 4:11pm

Yep.  Those heat exchangers are tricky sometimes.  At the Outlaw Poker Run in 2013, I discovered, after a hard run, coolant spray throughout my bilge and on my engine hatch.  Could not figure out where the hell it was coming from, so during the weekend, I simply added coolant after each hard run.  Later it was diagnosed as two very simple fixes.  First the rubber grommets at the bottom inlet/outlets were worn out and second, each heat exchanger has two worm gear clamps around them to prevent them from shaking around at high speed.  The confluence of bad gasket and missing clamps caused the heat exchangers to move around enough to allow coolant to escape and make a huge mess in the engine bay!

2006 32 Sunsation SS MCOB
2007 2500HD Allison/Duramax
2007 Corvette C6

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care