Send Topic Print
Brush with death (Read 7031 times)
Jay Gadsby
Lake Captain

Naturally Obsessed

Killeen TX
Brush with death
Jul 21st, 2014 at 1:12pm

Well, seems if it is weird, not very common or otherwise out of the ordinary, it happens to me. Story time:

I was sitting in my recliner which resides by the window that borders on my covered patio, playing a stimulating game of Star Wars: The Old Republic. My character is a Sith Inquisitor that mainly uses a barrage of lightning to subdue his foes. My lovely wife Niki was outside on the patio enjoying a small cylindrical cancer stick, not 3 feet from the window I was near.We had heard some thunder in the distance, but it really seemed far away at the time. Was I ever wrong.

The house goes black! Then, purple! Lightning had actually come through the window, fried my laptop, arced out on my floor leaving a hole in the concrete. I threw my now fried laptop, jumped out of the recliner and ran out to see my wife. She was on the ground in the fetal position as the lightning had passed by her to hit the ground near me. She was ok, I was ok, the baby was sleeping still. It was by far the loudest thing I Have EVER heard and I have been on M1A2 Ranges and thrown grenades and shot rocket launchers. SO that is saying something.

After I had come back to reality, I went to reset all the breakers that tripped in the house. Only fried one circuit breaker thankfully. Those things are not cheap lol. Well, it also fried every TV, modem, cable box, video game and router in the house. Home owners did pay, after a crazy deductible. A couple days after the incident we moved the recliner only to find this:

2000 Nordic Heat- 500 EFI with all the fixin's

IP Logged

Jay Gadsby
Lake Captain

Naturally Obsessed

Killeen TX
Re: Brush with death
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 1:14pm

It popped a hole in my floor!! Also a hole in the screen. Needless to say, I made it through. I am alive. I have not tried to start the Nordic, my luck would be a fried ECU or something. Just thought i would share. Smiley Glad to still be here with you guys!!

2000 Nordic Heat- 500 EFI with all the fixin's

IP Logged

97FASTech
Veteran Austin Boater

Canyon Lake Boater

Canyon Lake / Houston
Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 1:57pm

Holy crap, that is scary as S@@t, glad everyone is ok.

IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 9:13pm

WOW that is a scary situation!!  Glad everyone is ok.

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 6:16am

That is one of the most crazy lightning stories I have ever heard. Glad everyone is okay but daaaaamn. I'd ask if you are buying a lightning rod now but I imagine you hit a lifetime quota for lightning strikes.

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

In2Deep
Veteran Austin Boater

Lake Travis / LOTO Boater

Lake Travis/ LOTO
Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 7:22am

Wow.  That's nuts.  Glad everyone is OK.  Same thing happened to my grandmother, decades ago, during a thunderstorm in Connecticut.  Bolt of lightning came through a ceiling light in the kitchen -- where she and my mother were cooking.  Buckled the floor, skipped through the house, seared some curtains, and blew up a breaker box.

Mother nature.  Geez.

...and now a message from our sponsors

IP Logged

g
Veteran Austin Boater

Banished to an island
Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 5:33pm

Damn, Dude!  Glad you are ok!  Please stay upright so you can spend your Army retirement check on gas for your blue motor!

2006 32 Sunsation SS MCOB
2007 2500HD Allison/Duramax
2007 Corvette C6

IP Logged

livesound
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

austin tx
Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 9:03pm

Very glad to hear you are okay.  just before reading this a friend of mine from venice beach california called to report he was near a bolt of lighting on the board walk that injured a bunch of people.  wow crazy again to hear you all are ok!

2001 Mastercraft X-10 sold and gone Sad
2012 Mastercraft X-25 jury is still out LOL

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care