Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Posting here is better than Facebook, nobody gets annoyed with 50 pictures of your boat here.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I2D LOTO July 4th Report (Read 5397 times)
In2Deep
Veteran Austin Boater

Lake Travis / LOTO Boater

Lake Travis/ LOTO
I2D LOTO July 4th Report
Jul 8th, 2014 at 12:26pm

Greetings ATX brothers.  Time for a quick 2014 LOTO trip #1 report;

Bombed up here in 13 hours last Wednesday -- 10 days behind our original schedule to up (my ATX real estate swirl caused delay).  Had my sister, bro' in law, neice and her new baby join us.  Set up went fine (the Shack weathered the winter just fine), and we were dock riding by noon Thursday 7/3.  July 4th was off the hook up here.  Lake was as busy as I've seen it in 5 years, and by most accounts by locals -- land saw the same.  The general consensus from the full-timers and every-weekenders is that LOTO is showing signs of the pre-recession good ole' days.  I'd have to agree.  There was some amazing fiberglass out on the water, and an impressive display of brand spanking new rigs;  huge cruisers, luxury pontoons, and a nice array of Skaters, Cigs, Spectres, Fountains, Formulas, etc.  Gas on the water is running about $4.19 a gallon, $4.09 here or there.

Lake saw fewer than normal on-the-water incidents.  Just one fatality.  Unfortunate, but relative good news given the massive boat and jet ski traffic.  I had the closest near-collision of my entire boating career two days ago when a jet-ski came bombing at me from the side at about 60 MPH and cut UNDER my bow as I was coming off plane and turning hard port to avoid. More on that in a later report.

I think the biggest headline so far is the weather.  I don't mean to rub it in, but it has reached 90 degrees just once so far.  The rest of the past several days have seen mid to low 80's, with one 78 degree high.  Humidity has been moderate, and we've had light to moderate breezes.  Spring-like weather.  Mind blowing....considering it's usually mid to upper  90's (or hotter) and extremely humid.  Had the first thunderstorm of the trip roll through about 3AM, but nothing severe.  Cleared up 10, and now we're underway to another great day with a high of about 88.  Forecast for the rest of the week mostly clear, and highs high 80's.

That's it for now

...and now a message from our sponsors

IP Logged

Tyranni
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Re: I2D LOTO July 4th Report
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 1:35pm

Glad to hear you had a great time.  I can report LBJ was the busiest I've seen it in 4 years.  Seems like everyone was boating Friday and Saturday.  Long time locals commented the same.  Surprisingly no accidents given the density.  Worst I saw was a couple palm trees burning bright from an errant firework Friday night.  Made for a good show coming home late from the Horseshoe bay display.
Water was too choppy for most watersports but tubing and big air Jetskiing were a blast!  Saw too many Jet ski novices riding too close to just about everything though (swimmers, boats, and docks)

2003 Mastercraft X2
2001 Yamaha GP1200R
2002 Honda Aquatrax Turbo

IP Logged

g
Veteran Austin Boater

Banished to an island
Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 2:52pm

Great report I2D!  It is encouraging to hear that the sport is coming back to pre 2008 levels of activities.

2006 32 Sunsation SS MCOB
2007 2500HD Allison/Duramax
2007 Corvette C6

IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 7:33pm

sounds like another great week on LOTO!!  enjoy your trip!

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

PDubs
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Austin
Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 11:39pm

We were also up there at my brother-in-law's lake house during the 4th weekend. Fantastic weather indeed! Plenty of great boats running around, including his friend's Batman-themed cat. Was hoping to hear it WOT but he barely got on it.

IP Logged

XX14NORDICRAGE
Land Lubber

San Antonio Navy

San Antonio
Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2014 at 8:47am

We ended up at LBJ in a house on the Colorado arm. We showed up on the seventh so as to avoid the mess. There are still a good number of jet skiers and tube riders behind wakeboard boats. Got out to do a morning run in the boat yesterday while everyone else slept and got 71 with 50 gallons of fuel. It sure is hot in the middle of the day!

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 5:59pm

I am so jealous of all of you guys Smiley Sounds like everyone is having a blast! In2Deep has been taunting me with picture messages of all the incredible hardware up there.

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

In2Deep
Veteran Austin Boater

Lake Travis / LOTO Boater

Lake Travis/ LOTO
Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2014 at 9:31am

Paradise.  I could live up here full-time.  Well, almost full-time --  below zero temps in the winter might be a bit much to overcome. Shocked

...and now a message from our sponsors

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2014 at 12:35pm

Oh darn, you'll have to rough it at your shack in Lakeway in January Wink Maybe wear a light jacket while fishing.

Side note: I was talking fishing boats when I was in Minnesota, couldn't remember, what outboard do you have?

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

JC
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Cedar Park
Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2014 at 10:42pm

I was on Travis for the 4th. Swarms of jet ski's.
DC was rocking Fri and Sat. Even the cove by the zip lines was fairly crowded. Mostly cruisers with kids. Weather was nice. Mid 90's and a little breeze.
Nice fireworks show at Crosswater on Fri night and of course the main event at Starnes island Sat night. Broke a shift cable after the show Sat night, but other than that, a perfect weekend. Smiley

I'd love to get up to LOTO someday.

29 Fever w/twin BBC

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care