Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Posting here is better than Facebook, nobody gets annoyed with 50 pictures of your boat here.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Well talk about hours (Read 5985 times)
livesound
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

austin tx
Well talk about hours
May 30th, 2014 at 11:41am

Hey Guys the x-10 is up to 775 hours.  so the question begs how much more life does it have.  or the other question is at what point do i loose my equity in the boat,  right now I'm told at 800 hrs my boat is still worth 22 to 25.  bury i feel like there is a point where it becomes hard to sell also looses value.  i just payed it off so I'm not in a hurry to jump back into payments.  although a 2010 something kinda sounds nice.  but i see you guys swapping engines all the time.  seems like a proper new motor for my boat is 2500.00 and thats with a couple upgrades for a bit more hours power.  there is absolutely nothing wrong with my boat.  i mean at the age she has some of the things i have to maintain like carpet reglue, couple of gauges are screaming for replacement ext ext but hey we own boats its what they do.  but talking with my boat mechanic he want 3k for a motor swap and cmon really?

2001 Mastercraft X-10 sold and gone Sad
2012 Mastercraft X-25 jury is still out LOL

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Re: Well talk about hours
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2014 at 12:55pm

Sounds like you get to enjoy the hell out of your boat often! What engine do you have? Have you done a top end refresh lately?

If the boat itself is in good shape, a freshened up engine is quite a bit less money and you'll get a ton more fun out of it.

I think your average person would already feel like your hours are high, so you're there. I think I'd be inclined just to go for it and keep it if you like it.

3k for a new engine is a deal though, is that installed? When I was in the market it was quite a bit more than that for my boat.

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

Tyranni
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2014 at 1:41pm

The engine life really depends.  Guys routinely get 1200+ hours out of those engines if treated and maintained correctly.  Others need rebuilt in less.  Usually a compression test tells you a lot about how much life is left, but there are other factors like manifold condition etc.  If you were to sell, I'd get a compression test done and if it showed good numbers, post it with the add.  That will open up the market.  If you put in a new motor it should add 4-5K to the value.
$2500 for a motor sounds reasonable. If its another 3K to install that doesn't.  Should be a simple day job, especially if its not even a v drive. 
The older mastercrafts and other ski boats are holding their value nicely simply because new ones are so expensive.  2-3 times as expensive as they were 10 years ago. 
Helps the value of selling yours, but makes a 2010 used still pretty expensive.  ski/wake boats are a different beast than all the others if you ask me because of this dynamic.
Its a buyers market in Austin because lake surface area is limited.  For every one sold locally though 2-3 are selling out of area or out of state.  I had several I was looking at sell to out of staters before I could make an offer.
Prices vary wildly depending on the motivation of the buyer and the seller.  I got mine 20% off asking, but the seller had a full price offer last fall.  that buyer decided last minute he wanted a bigger boat and lost his deposit. PM me and I'll give you more details if you want.  All just my opinion, but I did spend the last 6 months following the market closely until I closed on mine.

2003 Mastercraft X2
2001 Yamaha GP1200R
2002 Honda Aquatrax Turbo

IP Logged

livesound
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

austin tx
Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2014 at 7:21pm

thanks guys
hey tyranni I didn't know you had a master craft as well,  but if I'm not mistaken your 03 x-2 has a couple of things i wish i did..  that pickle fork front end and the deeper V.  Are you on austin or travis,  i ask because one of my only real gripes with my boat is that with the shallow v and being a 20ft is that lake travis is a rougher lake and i get pretty beat up before i get up river where i generally wake board. 

but capt that said i have this boat paid off,  so its tempting if they can really get me the 22k to 25k they are boasting they can,  that makes the 07 to 10 boats mainly MC malibu,  even axis or moomba coming in at the 40 to 50k mark it would be easy to make that work.  on the other hand my boat is paid off and has a new gel coat and new interior.  but at the hour mark then i am at 777 end of today ill be 785 but the end of the week i assume 900 by end of season.  I'm at a less desirable hours even with the shape my boat is now in..  also allot of ballast and reasonable stereo upgrades. 

id i keep the boat i am in it to win and keep it another several years.  then a new engine and maybe a new v drive may be in my future with in the next 2 years.  not he master craft forum there is a ton of guys with 2k to 3k hours on there boats.   and i think the guys here are way more mechanical then i am so i will be depending most likely on a mechanic doing the swap and they seem to want a ton of money to do it.  even though i have a shop where i could do it

one other thing that is coming into play with my boat is wake surfing is becoming more of a sport and weighing my boat down i really have to watch water coming over the rear of the boat.  any way i thought this would be a great place for this discussion.  thanks again for the input

IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2014 at 9:07pm

I know you trust your mechanic but if you are looking at replacing your engine get multiple offers.  This way you know that he is giving you the best price.  Evan had full throttle marine do his motors.  you can also try to find a replacement motor on your own and pay someone to install it.  With your boat I would see if you can add extras to it to make it more than the newer boats.

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2014 at 10:35pm

Yeah be careful with that ballast. My buddy's wake boat has one hell of a ballast system, so much so he checked his oil and found it was a milk shake in his 496 MAG. The water occasionally coming in was getting inhaled by the intake. He lucked the hell out, changed his oil and it has been great since.

Bob has been great, he's one of a few guys around here that gets it. But he certainly doesn't come cheap. Don't expect his quote anywhere near 3k.

When I was new at boats, I was afraid of anything older that had been redone. But now, I think I'd be way more in to an older hull that has been totally gone over. If I were you, I'd be totally inclined to keep what you have.

I'd love a new boat, but when you break the numbers down it's a hard sale. If I want a new interior, or new paint, I'd be waaaaay ahead of the game just having them redone. Which you have! So just enjoy, forget everyone else. If you do the new engine, you'll have a new boat.

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

In2Deep
Veteran Austin Boater

Lake Travis / LOTO Boater

Lake Travis/ LOTO
Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2014 at 7:11am

What Evan said.

...and now a message from our sponsors

IP Logged

Jay Gadsby
Lake Captain

Naturally Obsessed

Killeen TX
Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2014 at 9:38am

Yeah... Another for what Evan said. If you like it, it runs, meets or beats your hopes and expectations... Keep it. Especially if you own it outright.

2000 Nordic Heat- 500 EFI with all the fixin's

IP Logged

livesound
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

austin tx
Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2014 at 1:56pm

Oh it runs great.  and i think my mechanic may have lost his edge.  Darryl who was my guy has went to doing something else.  i had them go do a service call to day that i put in 8 weeks ago.  gave up on them and did the work myself.  and it was easy.  i get a call today about an hour ago.  hey I'm at your boat,  i disabled your engine so you can start it while i go get a part that looks to be broke. what pisses me off,  is we talked about a hose in the ballast chain,  and he was telling me how hard it was and it would take for ever to replace.  well i replaced the sister hose this winter it honestly took me 15 minutes.  i only called them to do it fix a blast pump and a connection hose because a buddy from out of town was coming in and i wanted to make sure it was done.  when it wasn't me and my buddy took an hour and handled it.  i don't mind doing the matiance stuff my self.  oil/tranny/ fluid changes hoses, belts, ect.  and the engine is great.  i am just looking at big expensive stuff that could be done.  i also saw an x-45 last night night but again i think i will always see the bigger better thing,  we will see if this wake surfing thing seems to be the new way then maybe.  but also i have gotten to know my boat pretty well and feel confident when i tear into a project.  newer boats have stupid new stuff on them.

Evan that is several time i have hear new paint,  isn't it new gel coat.  here is why i am asking.  i will be honest after the gel coat was done the boat scratches so easy.  its almost one reason i wouldn't mind trading it in.  so is it gel coat or more of a paint?  because i would love to do some touch up but I'm scared of some of the work involved with gel coat.  any insight?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care