Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Boat safe! Have a great time on the lakes here!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best dry stack/valet type storage? (Read 8762 times)
My Z06
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Best dry stack/valet type storage?
May 18th, 2014 at 10:30pm

I'm new here, but I've been out of Travis here and there for the last few years. I recently purchased my first boat 21' baja hammer. It's at the riviera marina at the moment in the previous owners slip, and will stay there till he get his new boat (he's a close friend). I really like how convenient it is to show up and leave without much headache, but the price is a concern. Gonna be 220ish a month to keep it there.

Anyone have good/bad exp with other places? I really prefer the dry-stack. Don't want it in the water all the time. I've got a 4x4 diesel too. So if I have to start keeping it at a regular storage, then bringing it to the public ramp in lago isn't an issue. Just a hard call for me as to of its worth keeping it dry-stacked, or in a regular vehicle storage. Any wisdom? Is it a pita to load it up and launch everytime?

Thanks for any input

IP Logged

My Z06
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Re: Best dry stack/valet type storage?
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2014 at 10:33pm

Also I do plan on bringing the boat around to other lakes in texas. Like going camping for the weekend and check out some of the lakes texas has to offer. That may be a big deciding factor since it's kind of a pita to get the boat during the week and get ready for a weekend trip

What's the general consensus here? What do most guys do?

IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Reply #2 - May 18th, 2014 at 10:35pm

there are plenty of people on this board that have their boats in marinas.  I personally have always trailer my boats and have no issue doing it. With the lake levels low it can be a pain but at least if I want to change lakes for the weekend I can just tow to different lake.  If you get good at launching and loading your boat it will take less than 5 minutes.  Plus that gas and repairs are cheaper on land then on water.

welcome to our family.

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

In2Deep
Veteran Austin Boater

Lake Travis / LOTO Boater

Lake Travis/ LOTO
Reply #3 - May 19th, 2014 at 7:49am

It boils down to personal preference -- and budget.

If you plan on using your boat often (at least weekly, if not more), and/or you expect there will be plenty of spontaneous moments when you decide you want to be on the water quickly, then IMO keeping it slipped or dry-stacked is the way to go.  The convenience factor and overall benefits of that arrangement makes the cost well worth it.

But if you predict you'll be doing more lakes than Travis on a regular basis, then keeping it trailered and road trip ready is probably the way to go.

...and now a message from our sponsors

IP Logged

My Z06
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2014 at 2:20pm

Thanks for the replies. It's looking like ill be keeping it in a regular storage and trailering it. There is one within 5mins of my house and that extra 180/month will go a long way for gas

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #5 - May 19th, 2014 at 5:05pm

When I had a similar sized boat I trailered it for a few summers then put it in dry stack at Highland Lakes. After I put it there, I couldn't go back to a trailer. It's so nice after a long day at the lake to tie it up and go home. Rather than trailer it, haul it over to the storage and theeeennnnn go home.

But that was my experience.

Then when you talk money, my covered storage was like $120 a month and Highland Lakes charged me $190 or so. It was a no brainer for me.

They are really good about pulling the boat out during the week if you were to want to trailer it somewhere else too.

I liked it a lot but it's not for everyone. If you go out to Travis a lot, the convenience is hard to beat.

But we gotta know...most of us are car guys, what's the story on the Z06?

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

My Z06
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2014 at 6:51pm

Haha. I literally just sold the z06. Was a c5 had a 427 with ported ls7 heads.. Every bolt-on. Last dyno was 598hp/526 trq. I know a ton of cars guys and ended up selling the shell and keeping the motor. I've got half ass intentions on the 427 possibly finding its way into the boat.

IP Logged

My Z06
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2014 at 7:14pm

Captain YARRR wrote on May 19th, 2014 at 5:05pm:
When I had a similar sized boat I trailered it for a few summers then put it in dry stack at Highland Lakes. After I put it there, I couldn't go back to a trailer. It's so nice after a long day at the lake to tie it up and go home. Rather than trailer it, haul it over to the storage and theeeennnnn go home.

But that was my experience.

Then when you talk money, my covered storage was like $120 a month and Highland Lakes charged me $190 or so. It was a no brainer for me.

They are really good about pulling the boat out during the week if you were to want to trailer it somewhere else too.

I liked it a lot but it's not for everyone. If you go out to Travis a lot, the convenience is hard to beat.

But we gotta know...most of us are car guys, what's the story on the Z06?

That's the big deal for me. I love how convenient it is but I don't think I'll have too many spur of the moment times when I wanna go. I mostly plan things out ( and I have to) cause a lot of my friends have kids.

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #8 - May 19th, 2014 at 8:58pm

Ohhhhh dang that's one nasty looking dyno sheet. Plus one "sleeper" of a Z06.

I miss my C5 Z06, such a fun car. Nowhere near as much power as you though!

If you're only going out several times a year, then yes trailering is much more practical. If you're doing every weekend then not so much.

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

g
Veteran Austin Boater

Banished to an island
Reply #9 - May 20th, 2014 at 2:20pm

Welcome!

We have a C5 ZO6.  33K miles, so basically a garage queen.  Daily driver is a C6 (auto transmission), which is a much more civilized, but way, way more boring...Love the ZO6 and will probably never sell it.

Anyway...stack storage.  While living in Arizona, I kept my Baja in stack storage for about 2 years.  Lots of positives.  Call the marina, drive to the boat, find it floating with full gas tanks, coolers full of ice...jump in and go.  End of the day hand over the boat to dock hands and don't look back.  EASY!  Disadvantages:  Boat above me leaked oil onto my seats, drain plug always in...water always in the bilge, gas was expensive, maintenance was a PITA and the total monthly cost was more than my boat payment.
Would I do it again if/when I move back to civilization?  No.  I would keep it in a slip on a lift.  I feel that I have more control of my boat that way and still have the advantages of a quick in/out.

2006 32 Sunsation SS MCOB
2007 2500HD Allison/Duramax
2007 Corvette C6

IP Logged

Jay Gadsby
Lake Captain

Naturally Obsessed

Killeen TX
Reply #10 - May 20th, 2014 at 3:42pm

Still got the 427 eh? Sure you wouldnt rather see it end up in a 2500lb 71 240Z Smiley I do take donations and such.

2000 Nordic Heat- 500 EFI with all the fixin's

IP Logged

JC
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Cedar Park
Reply #11 - May 20th, 2014 at 9:53pm

Welcome Z06. Nice eng. Bet that was a blast. Some day when my C5 is no longer my daily driver, I'll drop something like that in.

In regards to storage, I keep mine at the house. It's nice to have it handy when doing maint and gives me a piece of mind it's high, dry and secure. The main disadvantage I have is my 2wd truck. With Travis so low, I limited to one ramp I can use.

29 Fever w/twin BBC

IP Logged

97FASTech
Veteran Austin Boater

Canyon Lake Boater

Canyon Lake / Houston
Reply #12 - May 21st, 2014 at 12:29pm

Welcome, I'm a big boater down at Canyon Lake, made the trip this spring to Travis.  Trailering is getting to be pretty nice.  Will tow the boat home to Houston after the Holiday weekend for the TX Outlaw Challenge. Trailer getting some mileage this year!!!

IP Logged

My Z06
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Reply #13 - May 21st, 2014 at 6:11pm

Thanks for the reply's. Im actually gonna take it out tomm after work to get dinner at the gar with friends. This may be the deciding factor(how quick/easy it is to be on the boat) but man i feel like its a bother to go there and work on it etc.

Ive got the 427 still. Its gonna sit in the garage waiting on either me to buy all the parts to put it in the boat, or buy another street car to build. That last part is unlikely though. The street scene got big quick. Its not as much fun anymore. Plus 600hp isnt enough  Undecided

The boat would sound NAASSSSSSTTTYYY with the cam that is in this motor, plus it on HUC lobes which are basically a boat lobe (made for extended high rpm/heavy valves).. So I really dont know what to do. I would mainly just do it for the sound. My stock bravo 1 def isnt gonna like 600+hp

http://s178.photobucket.com/user/mmoore81/media/E826B69B-5B5D-44C5-A1A6-58634A04...
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2014 at 7:38pm by My Z06 »  

IP Logged

JC
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Cedar Park
Reply #14 - May 22nd, 2014 at 12:01am

If you do decide to drop the LS eng in your boat, this thread may be helpful:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/301360-whats-truly-needed-swap-ls-e...

Unless you run dry exhaust (LOUD), you need to be careful abt the valve overlap. Too much duration (or incorrect LSA), and the eng will suck water in from the exh (called reversion) and cause bad things to happen.

29 Fever w/twin BBC

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care