Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Tell your friends, the more the merrier!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mercruiser I/O Bellows (Read 3982 times)
Luke
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Mercruiser I/O Bellows
Mar 30th, 2014 at 10:45am

After putting my boat in Saturday I learned quickly that I need to replace the bellows in my Alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive.  This is my first I/O so I've never done this.  Any pointers?  Special tools?  Is it worth the extra $100 for the OEM kit?

IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Re: Mercruiser I/O Bellows
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2014 at 2:34pm

it can be a pain.  you will need the tool to remove the gimbal.  there are a lot of videos on youtube on how to replace the bellows.  I would watch one or two before you start.

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

JC
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Cedar Park
Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2014 at 5:40pm

Get the OEM rubber for sure. You don't want that thing to fail. A 1/4"-drive 5/16" wobble socket and a long (12") extension will be your best friend.

The swivel pins can get stuck. If they put up a fight, apply heat to the bell housing where the swivel pins screw into.

Prep the area where the bellows clamps on with sandpaper and acetone. Apply bellows adhesive to the bellows and clamping surface and let it dry (abt 10 mins) before installing the bellows.

It will be a good time to check eng alignment. You'll need a special tool. They sell them on E-bay.

Might wanna consider replacing the shift cable and exh bellows while you're in there if they are all the same age.

29 Fever w/twin BBC

IP Logged

Luke
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2014 at 5:12pm

Thanks for the tips, got all the bellows and gimbal bearing replaced with minimal problems (the exhaust bellows took 3 try's before I got it to stick).  I wasn't prepared for the engine alignment part of it though.  After ordering an alignment tool from amazon it was a cinch.  Had to drop the front of the engine about a half an inch before everything lined up right to get the lower unit back on.  It was off more than I expected, then again this is my first time to do this.  Is a half inch drop normal?  It's a 96 model and this is the first time the gimbal bearing has been replaced.

IP Logged

In2Deep
Veteran Austin Boater

Lake Travis / LOTO Boater

Lake Travis/ LOTO
Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 7:47am

I don't know much about much, but generally speaking I'm pretty sure engine/drive alignment usually means you're raising the engine's front or back -- or both -- to get things back in factory alignment.   Vibration from running and splashing around in the waves and wakes usually causes the adjustment bolts on the mounts to back off.  It's possible the alignment wasn't quite right when new -- hance you ended up raising things.

Sounds like you've got a solid vessel though -- if your gimbal is original from '96.

I might have suggested you also tighten or replace the tiller arm while you were in there.

I2D

...and now a message from our sponsors

IP Logged

Tyranni
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 1:34pm

Speaking from Volvo experience but I believe the Mercury is similar.  Not uncommon to have to line things up a little after putting a new gimbal in.  The bearing itself sits in a concave housing so there is some adjustment you can do with the bearing itself.  Last time I was a little off, instead of moving the engine I was able to tap the alignment tool with a rubber mallet to get it to line up angle wise with the coupler.  The U joint is flexible so it doesn't care.  only works if the two are lined up center to center, but at different angles.  If the coupler is displaced to any size, then the engine must be moved as the transom assembly stays in one spot.  If that made sense.  The reason its called a gimbal bearing is because it can pivot in all directions in its carrier. Just not freely, but with a little tap  Smiley

2003 Mastercraft X2
2001 Yamaha GP1200R
2002 Honda Aquatrax Turbo

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care