Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  We are moving to TexasBoatForums.com, come on over and visit!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Upgrading electrical system (Read 2434 times)
Luke
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Upgrading electrical system
Nov 30th, 2013 at 9:40pm

As is my nature to not leave well enough alone in the off season, (Does this happen to anyone else?) I've found myself installing accessories that require a beefing up of my current electrical system.  I've added a "house" battery and a Blue Sea Systems switch and fuse block to feed my tower lights, radio, speakers, useless stuff, etc...  Now that I've run out of stock switches for everything, I've ordered a 6 gang switch panel and ran into a problem I didn't foresee. 

So as you all may have observed, every square inch of a runabout is upholstered, so my question is...   

Does anyone have any advice on how to install a switch panel on a perfectly upholstered bulkhead?!

After the money spent on seat upholstery restoration, it makes me nervous to take a box cutter to pure gold fabric.

IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Re: Upgrading electrical system
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2013 at 7:46pm

measure many time before you cut.  cut only room for the switches so that when you screw in the plate there is plenty of vinyl behind the plate.  use a utility knife to cut the vinyl.  for the fiberglass use a bill but in the corners and a saw for the straight lines.

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care