Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  We are moving to TexasBoatForums.com, come on over and visit!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hawaii (Read 13823 times)
97FASTech
Veteran Austin Boater

Canyon Lake Boater

Canyon Lake / Houston
Hawaii
Jul 25th, 2013 at 1:24pm

Anybody here from "g" lately.  He must be having too good of a time, or he is working too much.

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Re: Hawaii
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 4:53pm

He sounds like he's doing great. He's liking the scenery, the job and the lifestyle. He's looking forward to getting his boat out there too.

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 7:55pm

is he out there for a short time or is it a possible long term stay?

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

Jay Gadsby
Lake Captain

Naturally Obsessed

Killeen TX
Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 9:09pm

I think its at least a two year stint since he is there without his wife. I know that is usually how it is with the enlisted guys at least, not sure about ballers Wink

2000 Nordic Heat- 500 EFI with all the fixin's

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 12:15am

Depending on a lot of factors it sounds like it could be long term as an option.

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

97FASTech
Veteran Austin Boater

Canyon Lake Boater

Canyon Lake / Houston
Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 12:24pm

I thought he said wife would be joining him this fall. Also I believe he said a long tour, might even end up retiring over there, lucky Bas###.

IP Logged

Jay Gadsby
Lake Captain

Naturally Obsessed

Killeen TX
Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 1:01pm

If his wife joins, makes it a little longer Smiley Retirement is always a good thing.

IP Logged

97FASTech
Veteran Austin Boater

Canyon Lake Boater

Canyon Lake / Houston
Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 11:38pm

IP Logged

g
Veteran Austin Boater

Banished to an island
Reply #8 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 2:43pm

Hey guys....I'm doing well.  Thanks for asking.  Not been on the boards much.  Between working and checking out the scene here on Oahu, my days seem to slip by pretty quickly.  Yes, Hawaii is amazing.  The weather, the scenery, the ocean are incredible.  The job is busy, but I'm working with good people with an important mission.  The pace of life is different here, even in the workplace.  With the exception of exercise and mission prep periods, every Thursday, we leave by 3PM and most Fridays (Aloha Friday) people start to drift out of the office after 1PM.

I'm living in Waikiki, so the activities are endless.  in 5 minutes I can be on the beach (the one right by the Duke statue).  Bars, clubs, food are an elevator ride away.  The people in Honolulu are some of the most diverse population you could imagine.  Of course, the tourist population is ever-present, but the inhabitants of Honolulu come from every corner of the globe.  It's a significant melting pot of culture and races.  Unless one is a complete social dolt, it would be very difficult to get bored here.  It is true that you can find a rainbow almost every day here.  One of the pics below is a shot from my balcony the other day.

But....paradise is not without a price.  Traffic sucks, price of everything is off the hook high. Living space is small.  I live in a run-down 345 sq studio apartment and pay over 2K per month for it.  The boating scene is nothing like the mainland.  With a few exceptions, you find either multi-million dollar yachts or local guys in fishing boats.  The ramps are crap and the Mercruiser techs on the island are of questionable skill and attention to detail. No indoor storage units.  The performance boat inventory on the island I've found thus far:   one each, 38 Top Gun,  35 Fountain, Baja 420, Baja 29 Outlaw, 28 Donzi.   

Here are some random shots taken recently that I have handy on my computer.  A few random scenery, a shot of Mrs. G and I and some random boat ramp shots.

437.JPG (52 KB | )
437.JPG
484.JPG (33 KB | )
484.JPG
443.JPG (51 KB | )
443.JPG
444.JPG (57 KB | )
444.JPG
448.JPG (49 KB | )
448.JPG
449.JPG (67 KB | )
449.JPG
466.JPG (52 KB | )
466.JPG
477.JPG (49 KB | )
477.JPG
489.JPG (53 KB | )
489.JPG
513.JPG (53 KB | )
513.JPG

2006 32 Sunsation SS MCOB
2007 2500HD Allison/Duramax
2007 Corvette C6

IP Logged

97FASTech
Veteran Austin Boater

Canyon Lake Boater

Canyon Lake / Houston
Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 3:45pm

Sounds like fun!!  Glad everything is going well. Did the vette make it without damage? Hope so.

Staus quo at Canyon Lake, had a good 4th of July.

How will flossie effect you?

Oh!! I like the banished on the island part!!!  LOL

IP Logged

Jay Gadsby
Lake Captain

Naturally Obsessed

Killeen TX
Reply #10 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 3:57pm

Looks like a beautiful place to stay for a time Smiley Are you leaving Blue back here? or are you biting the bullet and sending her out?

IP Logged

g
Veteran Austin Boater

Banished to an island
Reply #11 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 4:43pm

97FASTech wrote on Jul 28th, 2013 at 3:45pm:
Sounds like fun!!  Glad everything is going well. Did the vette make it without damage? Hope so.

The Vette made it through the month-long transport ordeal without damage.  It was filthy when I picked it up.  The douche-bags at the port claimed for environmental reasons they could not wash it.  (I'm sure it is the environment of local-boy laziness that prevented them from delivering me a clean vehicle). 

Flossie will not effect us too much.  The Big Island is in her path, but I bet we'll see increased rain on Oahu.

Jay, I'm looking at staying here for more than a few years.  I'm having a house built on the island, so we hope for a few extra years here and then perhaps look at post-Army life settled in Hawaii.  Deja Blue will come over in December.  I'm flying back to the Mainland during Christmas leave to pick her up and tow her to the port in San Diego for shipping to Oahu.  I have a parking space reserved at Marine Corps Base Hawaii Marina which is on Kaneohe Bay.  They have secure dry storage, wash-down facilities and a launch ramp into K-Bay.   

2006 32 Sunsation SS MCOB
2007 2500HD Allison/Duramax
2007 Corvette C6

IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Reply #12 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 6:45pm

good looking pictures!!  hope all works out on the island!!

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

Jay Gadsby
Lake Captain

Naturally Obsessed

Killeen TX
Reply #13 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 8:22am

g wrote on Jul 28th, 2013 at 4:43pm:
97FASTech wrote on Jul 28th, 2013 at 3:45pm:

The Vette made it through the month-long transport ordeal without damage.  It was filthy when I picked it up.  The douche-bags at the port claimed for environmental reasons they could not wash it.  (I'm sure it is the environment of local-boy laziness that prevented them from delivering me a clean vehicle). 

Flossie will not effect us too much.  The Big Island is in her path, but I bet we'll see increased rain on Oahu.

Jay, I'm looking at staying here for more than a few years.  I'm having a house built on the island, so we hope for a few extra years here and then perhaps look at post-Army life settled in Hawaii.  Deja Blue will come over in December.  I'm flying back to the Mainland during Christmas leave to pick her up and tow her to the port in San Diego for shipping to Oahu.  I have a parking space reserved at Marine Corps Base Hawaii Marina which is on Kaneohe Bay.  They have secure dry storage, wash-down facilities and a launch ramp into K-Bay.   

Wow, that is awesome! Sucks for us, maybe you can make it up some year for the Spring ABF run, sans boat of course. You will always have a spot in the Nordic.

IP Logged

Shaka
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Round Rock, Texas
Reply #14 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 10:07am

Back in the 90s, I live on Oahu on the windward side in Kailua town for about five years.   Started out in Waikiki and got out of there as soon as I could.

Lots of blow boats out there.  Did a lot of sailing.   Some of my best memories were three day weekends and sailing to another island and the Friday night races at the Ali Wai Harbor (used to have fireworks and champagne for the winning crew).

Get your HI driver's license as soon as possible and don't be afraid to ask for the Kama'aina (local) price.    There used to be two pricing structures.  One for the tourist and one for the locals.

Cost of Living was super high.   I had a small 35 year old 1200 sqft duplex I bought for $450K fee simple (didn't even own the land).  Same duplex in Austin would be about $90K (including land).   However, it was two blocks away from the beach.

Miss all of it......the food, the smells, the weather, the beaches, the music.  But I did find I got "rock fever" every six months and had to hit the mainland (LA, Vegas, Texas) for some time off the island.

Moved back to Texas and used to go back every year for the Pro Bowl for about seven years.   

Congrats and enjoy your stay!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care