Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  We are moving to TexasBoatForums.com, come on over and visit!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
32' Fountain: Hope this isn't someone on the board (Read 10305 times)
mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Re: 32' Fountain: Hope this isn't someone on the board
Reply #15 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 7:54am

Don't know what happened here but, they should have had the engines running that day. Followed by removing drives draining water from bellows and greasing everything. All the electric motors need the water drained from them. All the reservoirs need waters removed. The entire interior needs to be dis assembled and dried. If the batteries switches were off most electronics on engine will survive. If they were on many will be toast.

The key is to attend to it immediately. If it sat for even a day the damage multiplies. AFTER A WEEK JUST TAKE IT TO THE GRINDER.

Jim
IP Logged

SEA TOW
Veteran Austin Boater

Free Towing For Members!!!

Central Texas
Reply #16 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 11:11am

In most recovery processes, we float them, and ask the customer if they have a preference on what repair facility the boat goes to. If they are not sure we offer up several options for them. We do not touch the motors due to liability, so we immediately take it to repair shop where they pickle the motors.

Insurance companies are all different, but in most cases an adjuster or surveyor will come to the repair shop and decide if it is totaled or repairable. If totaled they take possession of the boat and either auction it off or scrap it.

In this case it was sold pretty quick to a local contact I had here. So this boat will be back in action on Lake Travis!!

WWW http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sea-Tow-Central-Texa  
IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #17 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 12:45pm

I have many sunk boat stories. One that comes to mind after the 28 Cig I previously mentioned is.

A had met a friend at a race site to drive his boat. We met at the drivers meeting. He had rushed to launch the boat and met me their. While we were sitting there a guy came in and asked . " Whose boat is Hauling Glass? It is sinking in the slip!" Needless to say we rushed out. The rescue crew from the event met us at the boat. It was hanging by the lines and the water was up to the base of the carbs. It had tunnel rams and the entire rest of the engines were under. We quickly pumped it out. Drained the water of the bottom of the oil pans, drained the water off the bottom of the trannies and started it up. We did not turn it off because it might not have cranked a second time with the starters full of water. We raced the race and won our class. He returned home and completed the necessary service and raced the remaining season without indecent.

Jim
IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #18 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 12:52pm

He had left the strainer plugs out.

My first flipping a boat experience happened when I was 15. I had taking my brothers 7.5 of his jon boat and mounted it on a Cyrus Gardens trick jump boat. Cool little boat kind of a flat bottom tunnel built to go over ski jumps. It would also jump up on to a floating dock to do a "cool " finish. ". Well I tried and failed the cool part and flipped it over backwards on to myself. Man I immediately thought I was toast. I was going to get in so much trouble. AN old man coached me to drain the carbs, clear the water form the engine and make it run. It took about 15 minutes. seemed much longer cause I was s hitting bricks. In the end I cleaned it up . Put it back on the proper boat and ran it home. Never got caught. Good thing. It would have hurt. It was Ok to take a belt to your kids back then.

Jim
IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #19 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 12:59pm

Most recent race boat submersion story happened in Key West 4 or 5 years ago. My buddy bounced his 100 plus mph canopied twin outboard cat on it lid ripped the cowlings and hatches off. It also ripped off some cables and fuel line from one of the engines. Both ingested a little water. He got towed in. I spectator retrieved his hatches and cowlings before the sunk. Again. we cleared the engines of water, fixed the damaged parts that got ripped off and made it run. The next day we repaired the hatches, mounted them, serviced the engines like normal between races and tested the boat mid after noon. He raced it the following day. He did not win but did complete the race.

Lunch break is over I am getting back to work.

Jim
IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Reply #20 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 1:59pm

awesome stories Jim!!!!!

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

JC
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Cedar Park
Reply #21 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 9:02pm

What exactly does pickle'ing an eng entail?

29 Fever w/twin BBC

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #22 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 9:37pm

None of you wise asses better say dill Smiley

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Reply #23 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:17pm

dang it you there goes my next post.  Evan had to ruin it  Grin Cool

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #24 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:45pm

JC wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 9:02pm:
What exactly does pickle'ing an eng entail?

Pickleing is what you do when you are waiting to decide what to do. Basically you drain the water of the bottom and fill with kerosene or diesel fuel to the top of the valve covers; down the intake and everything until it comes out the plug holes.. Topped off by dueshing the outside with crc.

Jim
IP Logged

JC
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Cedar Park
Reply #25 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 6:54pm

Thx for the explanation. Hope I never have to do it, but that little tidbit would come in handy if I ever do.

29 Fever w/twin BBC

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care