Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Posting here is better than Facebook, nobody gets annoyed with 50 pictures of your boat here.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jonestown (Read 10095 times)
LookSquirrel
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Libertyhill, TX
Jonestown
May 7th, 2013 at 12:23am

Whats you thoughts, it kind of reminds me of Havasu were all the people who loved being on the lake bought homes there, then complained about all the partying...

Sign.jpg (93 KB | )
Sign.jpg

2001 ultra rigged by prime marine
2006 H2
No payments...
LookSquirrel  
IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Re: Jonestown
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2013 at 7:08am

is that in devils cove?

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

Tyranni
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2013 at 8:25am

Yes, I don't think the city of Jonestown governs much more of the lake than Devils.  I heard there was a jonestown city council member that lived on the cove.  Also, that they had cops on jet skiis prepared to write tickets for violations.  I guess the anchoring provision was to prevent anchors from pulling up dock anchors.  These provisions I think really went into effect last year. There was some debate if Jonestown had the authority over LCRA to govern the water.  The determination was they do, if their regulations can be defended as safety rules instead of convenience ones. A lawyer and jury of your peers are the only ones who can finally settle that.  If anyone got a ticket, and they took it to trial, it certainly would be an interesting one.  I'm not aware of anyone getting a ticket yet but I'll bet its happened.
If 11 people tie up, who gets the ticket? the ones on the end, all 11 people? Who knows?
Huh

2003 Mastercraft X2
2001 Yamaha GP1200R
2002 Honda Aquatrax Turbo

IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #3 - May 7th, 2013 at 9:32am

From what I understand it is not the partying it is the excessively loud stereos.  If there was not a thumping amp fest going on in the we hours of the nigh and morning it probably would not have ever escalated to the point it has.

I blame the loud stereos myself. The sound travels for miles.

Jim
IP Logged

PDubs
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Austin
Reply #4 - May 7th, 2013 at 11:38am

Looks like they got a new sign. There used to be 7 bullet points in type 8 Sans Serif font that was impossible to read unless you tied up to the sign and took the time to read it all. Beyond this, now Jonestown is trying to annex Starnes Island for most likely the same reason all while cutting their police chief.

IP Logged

tex
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Austin
Reply #5 - May 7th, 2013 at 3:43pm

This is coming from an outsider that spends all his time overseas but i think we just need to find a new cove (granted there limited) to go party it may take a while to get everyone there but the rules are getting bad a DCove

keveastin  
IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Reply #6 - May 7th, 2013 at 9:18pm

I agree with Jim.  it all started with a resident that had either their kids or grandkids in their backyard.  when they went outside to enjoy the lake view all they got was a big tie up blasting loud music that was not to their taste.  they ask the people to turn it down and was answered with a lot of profane words and gestures.  the home owner decided that he would become a council member to put a stop to things like that.  and he succeeded.  I cannot remember which council member it was.  but I can say that if I purchase a house on the lake and felt I could not enjoy it because of a group of people that was in a boat was blasting music that in my opinion was suitable for my kids I would want something done about it.  it is not that much different than if your neighbor was always having really loud parties at night.

on changing coves I have always wondered why the cove that the oasis over looks has never been more used.  I know that hippy hollow may produce a few beached whales but the other side is far enough that you do not actually cannot see anything from there.

current boats:
nathanb42  
IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #7 - May 8th, 2013 at 8:38am

I saw that picture making the rounds on Facebook. Everyone was losing their minds about it not being fair but it was quite obvious they haven't been to the cove lately. Not quite the "usual" Devil's people think about. Not like the rules are that restrictive either.

Last year at the beginning when the lake was more full the cops were making the rounds about the 10+ rule and were telling people to turn it down who had their cans screaming across the cove.

Now that it is getting so narrow, you really aren't seeing that many boats now. Still some music, but doesn't sound like a dance club playing 30 conflicting play lists like the past. The level has kinda self-policed things. The lack of out of towners on trailers without respect for the community has seemed to bring a more reasonable mix of dedicated locals.

If this lake ever fills back up, there's a lot of great coves that are pretty small now. Especially further up the lake, Cow Creek for example is an awesome run and great chill out spot. Definitely a great place to stay clear of the idiocy when it gets going in the cove again.

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

Tyranni
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Reply #8 - May 9th, 2013 at 9:14pm

Cow creek is my favorite hang out spot. Its pretty unusable right now.  To answer your question Nathan, the cove in front of Oasis is quite deep and rocky.  Pretty hard to anchor there.  I once did an overnighter there though and it was pleasant.  I had to drop all 150' of anchor chain though. 
there is a second nice cove there as well under a multi-million dollar mansion.  It has a sign in the cove that says no anchorage, high power electric lines.  Always ticks me off as there actually are no high power lines there, they post it to keep people away.

2003 Mastercraft X2
2001 Yamaha GP1200R
2002 Honda Aquatrax Turbo

IP Logged

Stimulus Package
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Reply #9 - May 10th, 2013 at 11:31am

As many on this board know, I sold "Stimulus Package" my 32 foot cruiser because we bought six acres on Cow Creek.  Attached is a current progress report on the cabin we are building, and our view (when the lake was up).  We are overlooking the party spot.  When the lake comes back up, we will have to have a party out there.  The property has a large boat dock and lower deck closer to the water.

IP Logged

Stimulus Package
Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Reply #10 - May 10th, 2013 at 11:34am

Another good spot to anchor is Cypress Creek under the new zip lines.  A lot of boats are going there right now and it is farily easy to anchor and relatively hassle-free and adult-ish.

IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Reply #11 - May 10th, 2013 at 1:07pm

tyranni  thank you I did not realize it was that deep there.  also that is a really nice cabin stimulus.

current boats:
nathanb42  
IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #12 - May 10th, 2013 at 2:44pm

Stimulus Package wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 11:31am:
As many on this board know, I sold "Stimulus Package" my 32 foot cruiser because we bought six acres on Cow Creek.  Attached is a current progress report on the cabin we are building, and our view (when the lake was up).  We are overlooking the party spot.  When the lake comes back up, we will have to have a party out there.  The property has a large boat dock and lower deck closer to the water.

I bet that was tough selling the boat but WOW I bet that was WAY WORTH IT!

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

JC
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Cedar Park
Reply #13 - May 10th, 2013 at 8:40pm

Congrats on the property stimulus. That's a great location!

This is the first I've heard abt zip lines at Travis. I'll have to check that out. Smiley

29 Fever w/twin BBC

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care