Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  We are moving to TexasBoatForums.com, come on over and visit!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alpha Bellows Replacement (Read 3239 times)
JC
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Cedar Park
Alpha Bellows Replacement
Apr 2nd, 2013 at 5:30pm

Picked-up a bellows today and jumped right in. First time for me. The hinge pins were a biatch! Port side came out OK but the starboard side just abt killed me.
Was using the Mercruiser tool but the bolt head (1/2" allen) was a bit sloppy. Sure enough it stripped-out. After a bit of head scratching, figured my only chance was to stick a small (3/8) 1/2"-drive socked inside and weld it to the bolt head. Almost worked but Snap-On socket broke in half... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ground off the old socket and found a 1/2" allen mated to a 1/2" drive. Stuck that in and welded it to the bolt and Walah!! Whew, I was really starting to sweat. Next tried to unscrew the shift cable with my home-made special socket, but wasn't able to break it loose. Pulled the bell housing off along with the shift cable housing. The cable housing is in good shape, but will need to pick up a shift cable bellows.
Will I be able to re-install the bell housing with the shift cable housing attached to it??

29 Fever w/twin BBC

IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Re: Alpha Bellows Replacement
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 5:39pm

The entire job takes 4 hours in most cases. U joint bellows, shift cable bellows, gimble bearing, shift cable and  water hose.

Sure you can install the bell housing with the cable in it.

You know aluminum responds well to heat.

Jim
IP Logged

JC
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Cedar Park
Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 7:31pm

I tried heating the bell housing, near where the hinge pins threads are, with a propane torch for abt 5 mins. May have not been enough heat. I considered using a oxy/acet torch but I'm a little paranoid abt using a serious torch on alum since it doesn't give any warning before it melts. I don't think the hinge pins have been removed for 29 years.

Any tips for getting the new u-joint bellows back on without making a big mess with the adhesive?

29 Fever w/twin BBC

IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 8:45pm

I use map gas. comes in bottles like propane but hotter.

No trick really. Just clean well with sand paper and acetone. Apply to bell housing side first . note bellows is marked top aft. Apply adhesive in bellows around the seal areas just outside of rib. Push on,  remove,  add a little more glue and push on again and clamp. Install shift bellows and insert cable. Repeat on boat side.

Jim
IP Logged

JC
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Cedar Park
Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 9:31pm

Thx MERCman, that what I was looking for.
I haven't removed the bellows from the bag yet but I'll look for the markings.

In regards to the water hose; is it something special or will heater hose work? I was going to use heater hose but I saw a marking on old hose saying it was rated for 150 psi working press. Seems a bit high for ur averge heater hose. Seems a bit high for a boat too for that matter.

I'll have to get new hinge pins and a shift cable  bellows before I can start re-install. Does the shift cable bellows get adhesive also? If so, both ends?

BTW, If you're in Jonestown, I'm right down the road from ya, between Jonestown and Cedar Park.

29 Fever w/twin BBC

IP Logged

mobileMERCman
Veteran Austin Boater

Old Salty Dog

Jonestown
Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 10:54pm

It is a high quality hose. regular heater hose will not work it will just kink. It has to be the exact right length too. Just order it when you order the other things on your list. Glue the shift bellows big end only. Use glue sparingly . too much glue and you will have trouble clamping it.

Of all the things I do to boats, sitting behind one with my hands up its greasie butt ranks pretty near the bottom. Have fun.

Jim
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care