Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  If your significant other gets jealous of your boat, you belong here.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Electric over Hydraulic Conversion. Observations (Read 13438 times)
g
Veteran Austin Boater

Banished to an island
Electric over Hydraulic Conversion. Observations
Jul 1st, 2012 at 11:09am

So, I've posted up some of my bad luck with the trailer that came with my boat.  A quick recap.  2006 Hi-Tech Aluminum trailer.  Triple triple torsion axles w/ez-lube hubs.  Surge Disk brake system.  I purchased the boat in Kemah, Texas and towed it back with no issues.  Soon after getting the boat back to San Antonio, I repacked the hubs with new grease via the EZ-Lube system (very nice that you simply pump in the new grease and the old stuff comes out).  The grease that came out of the hubs was 4 different colors, nasty and full of water.  That was my first indicator that the trailer was neglected by the previous owner.  I decided to give the trailer a chance.  I had several successful trips to Austin and to Lake LBJ.  My problems started when the weather got hot and I had had a massive tire failure.  I replaced all six with good tires and that is when I noticed the rust on all the hubs, brakes and the leaks in the surge brake system.  I made plans to do a refurb including a Electric over Hydraulic set-up.  A trip back from Austin a few weeks ago accelerated my timeline.  A wheel simply came off my trailer at 70MPH on I-35.  I dropped the trailer-off at Magnum trailers the next day and explained to the guy what I wanted.  He'd never done anything like the conversion before, but accepted the job.  Essentially everything with the brakes and brake lines would be new.  The first step was figuring out how to install the EoH pump and associated parts, including a battery for the break-away system.  He installed the pump, new wiring and all new SS brake-lines, replacing the low-quality rubber lines.  All 4 hubs, brakes, discs and mounting hardware was replaced with higher quality hardware. Also welded on a new solide tongue with a Bulldog coupler.  The performance result is nothing short of amazing.  Braking is smoother, faster and much safer.  Trailer brake strength is fully adjustable.  This is one upgrade that I truly believe is worth the effort.  Here are some pics.

2006 32 Sunsation SS MCOB
2007 2500HD Allison/Duramax
2007 Corvette C6

IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Re: Electric over Hydraulic Conversion. Observations
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 12:25pm

looks great.  I was wondering how well those systems works as I know that electric brakes are smoother than hydraulic.  hope you stop having issue with the trailer.

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

Jay Gadsby
Lake Captain

Naturally Obsessed

Killeen TX
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 4:26pm

Looks awesome! This is on my to-do list as well. I towed a trailer the other day with no brakes at all, and even though the boat was only 19', it stopped like crapola. Even the Surge Brake setup on the Nordic coupled with Dodge's built in exhaust brake feature is amazing, cant wait to try out ELOH. Maybe you can let me yank your boat around sometime to talk the boss into it Smiley

2000 Nordic Heat- 500 EFI with all the fixin's

IP Logged

Wake man
Lake Captain

Austin Boater

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 12:42pm

It must be real nice to get rid of that surge brake clunk.

One boatless wake boarder!

IP Logged

g
Veteran Austin Boater

Banished to an island
Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 8:57pm

Wake man wrote on Jul 2nd, 2012 at 12:42pm:

Wake, It really is nice to have the surge brake "clunk" gone.  Other observations are that the trailer has brakes while backing down the ramp, the brakes are not constantly on while driving down steep hills, and backing is not longer a "hmmm, wonder if my reverse lock-out is going to work" experience.
I towed the rig to Galveston and back last weekend and it is a completely different towing experience.  The truck and trailer stop as one unit.  Set the brake controller strong enough, you can get the trailer to stop the truck!
Of the various upgrades I've done to my boats and truck over the years, I would have to say that this is the one that is the premier upgrade.

Jay, feel free to pull my boat anytime.  Your truck will need an in-cab brake controller.  Be aware, though that I think after you give it a tow, I think you will be running out for parts to make the conversion. Grin

Nathan, yes you are correct.  Electric brakes probably provide the smoothest braking.  Pretty inexpensive to install too.  I know some guys have dumped their surge brakes for full electrics with great success, even with continuous dunking.  I think if you are going to be exclusively fresh water, than full electrics are a great option.  But, if you think that you are going to launch in the salty stuff...even once or twice a year.  EoH is really the way to go.  The discs are much easier to flush than a full electric drum set-up and there are no electrical bits exposed to the salt-water..which is pretty conductive.

2007 Corvette C6

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 10:29pm

Wow that looks really great. That sounds like a really much better driving experience too.

Are we done paying for new Sunsation improvements yet? Smiley

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

Jay Gadsby
Lake Captain

Naturally Obsessed

Killeen TX
Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 8:13am

g wrote on Jul 2nd, 2012 at 8:57pm:
Wake man wrote on Jul 2nd, 2012 at 12:42pm:

Jay, feel free to pull my boat anytime.  Your truck will need an in-cab brake controller.  Be aware, though that I think after you give it a tow, I think you will be running out for parts to make the conversion. Grin

Yey for Dodge with built in brake controllers and engine brakes Smiley Towing the Nordic with just Surge brakes is awesome with the engine brake, dont even need to touch the brakes half the time to slow.

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 8:16am

No going back to gas after enjoying an engine brake!

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

Jay Gadsby
Lake Captain

Naturally Obsessed

Killeen TX
Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 9:27am

You ain't never lied brother. It makes it so nice to tow with that little guy in there. I love my diesel, just wish the prices would come down a bit lol.

IP Logged

g
Veteran Austin Boater

Banished to an island
Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 7:36am

Captain YARRR wrote on Jul 2nd, 2012 at 10:29pm:
Are we done paying for new Sunsation improvements yet? Smiley

I know, I know.  Seems like with everything I buy used, I get it perfect just in time to sell it to the lucky next owner!   Grin

2007 Corvette C6

IP Logged

97FASTech
Veteran Austin Boater

Canyon Lake Boater

Canyon Lake / Houston
Reply #10 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 5:06pm

[quote author=58404C6A716C7E6B7670711F0 link=1341158998/0#0 date=1341158998] The performance result is nothing short of amazing.  Braking is smoother, faster and much safer.  Trailer brake strength is fully adjustable.  This is

Converted my trailer to EOH in April 2012, best upgrade yet. Brakes backing down the ramp are amazing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care