Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  If your significant other gets jealous of your boat, you belong here.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Boat (1996 SeaDoo Sportster) (Read 9072 times)
Be Prepared
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

My Boat (1996 SeaDoo Sportster)
Jun 20th, 2011 at 11:21pm

I need help with figuring out what to do to my new boat, and who can do it for me.

Below is a pic of my boat interior as it sits.

The first thing i would like is to have a sound system installed. I don't need much. Just a couple of speakers and a stereo with an Aux input. I need someone who can install them and get them working without compromising hull integrity.

Then i'd like to get some Hydro Turf installed in my boat.

Third, i'd like to get some additional seating in the front (if that's possible). I'd like a larger seating area, sufficient for 3 to sit comfortably

Finally, i'd like to get a Bimini Top for it.

Is there a place around here that can do that kind of work and not charge me a painful sum? I'm not rich, but i want my boat to be useable

Thanks folks!

IP Logged

nathan
Lake Admiral

Going Home !!!!!

Leander, TX Soon
Re: My Boat (1996 SeaDoo Sportster)
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 7:58am

welcome!  those seem to be fun little boats.  There are plenty of mechanics and marinas that can help.  I think capitain yarr has had good luck with mcneil marine.  there is also places on this site that has different mobile people that can help.  good luck but if you want to save money and spent a lot do some of the work yourself. you can get a radio from any place that sells boat parts and get an enclosure for it that mounts with just four screws and enclosed  speakers that mount the same way.  here is what I put in my boat that I think would work for you.

http://www.jensenmarinedirect.com/jensen-water-resistant-gimbal-mount-housing.ht...

http://www.amazon.com/PLMR34-3-5-Inch-Sealed-Speaker-System/dp/tech-data/B000OJD... 

My Happy place is on a boat at the lake with my kids!!

current boats:
1983 chaparral 235 XLC (restoration)
1977 playcraft p24 pontoon (parents own now I am the mechanic)
1975 skeeter hawk (on hold)
nathanb42  
IP Logged

Be Prepared
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 8:22am

i really appreciate those links... that's very similar to what i had in mind.

What i want is a low end head unit with an AUX jack, and a pair of small speakers. I don't need a lot of sound, just something to play a little music.

the problem is, i'm not sure i'm capable of installing them with the tools i have. I don't want to risk damaging the boat while installing the head unit and the speakers.

IP Logged

Shaka
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Round Rock, Texas
Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 8:39am

Hello and welcome!

Check out Overtons for marine grade stereo and speakers and the Bimini top.

I would recommend marine grade stereo componenets (head unit, speakers, wiring) since you probably get a little spray.

Crutchfields is also a good option.  They can send you customized install instructions and walk you through it if needed.  Their customer support is top notch.

If you wanted to buy locallly, try Custom Sounds...they carry marine grade and are competitive with West Marine.

I wouldn't take my boat in for a simple stereo install.   As long as you are not installing amplifiers and need extra batteries, I think you can DIY.

I wouldn't glue down hydro turf.   I think you would be happier with some snap in.    Capitol City Upholstery carries several lines of boat carpet.   You can find snap in instructions on-line.

Your rig is Coast Guard rated for "X" amount of passengers.   Adding seats / capacity is not a good idea.   I wouldn't breach the floor screwing in pedestals that might rip out or you could hit some wiring or your fuel tank.    It would also impact your performance....your boat seating is designed for specific weight points.  If you added seating up front for example, your rig might not be able to plane out or would list really bad.    IMO, adding seats just isn't a good idea.   It would also be an insurance risk and might not be covered.   If you need better seats while anchoring, maybe get a couple of folding camping chairs.....just don't use these while underway.

For the bimini, check out overtons.

http://search.overtons.com/?Ns=p_image_sort|1||p_purchased|1&Ne=1000&N=2070&cnam...

IP Logged

Shaka
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Round Rock, Texas
Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 8:51am

Do you have space on your dash for a head unit/ stereo?
Any idea what size head unit will fit?   Might talk to Crutchfield, Custom Sounds or Woods Fun Center.   You might want to google and see if there are any SeaDoo boat forums.  They could provide some info.

Forums rock!

I would recommend a system that has a splash guard.

Low end systems...

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Pyle_PLMR105_Marine_CD...

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=92238&pdesc=Jensen_CPM520_...

Better

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=39345&pdesc=Rockford_Fosga...

IP Logged

Shaka
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Round Rock, Texas
Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 9:20am

Be Prepared,

Sorry I didn't realize your rig didn't some prewired / set up for a stereo.   

I would get an estimate from Custom Sounds.   They know what they are doing and do tons of boats.   For a simple set up, they shouldn't be too expensive.   Maybe get another quote from Woods Fun Center.   Custom sounds could probably turn it around pretty quick.

I did find some info on installing a head unit on a sea doo boat.........

http://seadoosportboats.com/topic/1639-stereo-install-on-1996-challenger/

IP Logged

Be Prepared
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 10:30am

Thanks folks. I think that first package for 99 looks perfect. All I need to know now is how much it would cost to have it installed. I don't want to do it myself.

Anyone have a realistic estimate of what I can expect to pay to install and wire 4 speakers and a head unit?

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #7 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 6:03pm

Hey there,

I had McNeil Marine do some work for me and I was pretty pleased with everything. They seem to be capable of doing a lot of different things for you or can arrange for someone to do it for you at their facility. It's nice for me since I don't own a truck.

They charged me $100 to cut bigger holes for two speakers and mount four total. I imagine adding a deck for you would be a little more involved, but give them a call and see what they think.

I'm sure a bimini is a piece of cake. That's a total of twelve screws.

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care