Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Tell your friends, the more the merrier!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Detail sprays (Read 3651 times)
Hula Boat Care
Veteran Austin Boater

What Rocks Your Boat?

Lakeway, TX.
Detail sprays
Feb 10th, 2011 at 6:15pm

Today's topic is detail sprays...

Not all detail sprays are created equal.

There are some good brands out there and interestingly enough most detail sprays were carry overs from automotive applications. As a result most detail sprays work great on gel coats and painted surfaces. They add gloss, remove, fresh water spots, and stuff that got on the boat from the day's ride. The key ingredient in most spray detail sprays is carnauba wax and this ingredient works well on most surfaces except glass where it streaks and smears. The second challenge is durability of the product on gel coat.

I have designed my Surf Away Spray Detailer to work differently. I decided to use polymers instead of carnauba wax which address the competitors deficits.

This products works well on gel coat, painted surfaces, bright work and wind screens without streaks or smears. It removes fresh water spots and the day's grime and leaves a light polymer coating which helps repel water and reduce water spotting.

Surf Away was tested against Boat Brite and we found that the boat required less frequent applications versus the competition.

My favorite part of this product is that is smells like my favorite childhood beverage. Hawaiian Punch.
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2011 at 8:42pm by Captain YARRR »  
IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Re: Detail sprays
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 8:31am

This would be awesome if my boat was still on a trailer.

Since I'm in dry stack storage, I imagine the best thing for me to do is just give it a good waxing a few times a year to keep the water spots at bay. Seems like everything else would be a waste for my situation.

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

Hula Boat Care
Veteran Austin Boater

What Rocks Your Boat?

Lakeway, TX.
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 5:30pm

If you are going to wax a fewvtimes in the season then a cleaner wax would be the way to go.  If you want something to remove fresh water spots off the windscreen and gel coat after a day on the water then the spray detailer is certainly easier. It really is a personal preference of work a little at a time as you play or spend quite a bit of time to cleaner wax the boat. I personally see the spray detailer as what is used in between waxing and not an either or...

Enjoy the weekend

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 9:25am

I'd definitely prefer to use a spray like you are talking about. But it seems like a waste if I pull up to the dock, clean it and then have the marina guys pull it out of the water getting it wet again.

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

Hula Boat Care
Veteran Austin Boater

What Rocks Your Boat?

Lakeway, TX.
Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 7:25pm

I see your point. Aside from the gel coat you could it to keep your windscreen clean, put a water repeling coating and reduce lime and calcium deposit on the surface.

In general all spray waxes or detailers are designed to be used as maintenance products in between actually waxing. In the case of my products I developed them to work together so the spray detailer keeps laying polymers on the wax/polymer coating from the cleaner wax or polymer sealant that it prolongs the life of the wax coating.

Have a good week

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care