Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  A great place to talk about the lake when you aren't on it.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kinda "on topic" but does anyone do any fishing? (Read 4901 times)
Frog
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Kinda "on topic" but does anyone do any fishing?
Jan 27th, 2010 at 9:04pm

Before I got into cars, I used to do ALOT of fishing from the shore, around Austin Lakes. Usually fishing at night for catfish but sometimes during the day too. How about you guys?

Mansfiled Dam was my favorite spot. There is a cove on the deep side of the dam at the LCRA park where me and friends spent MANY all nighters out there with a radio, laterns, about 10 poles in the water with "cow bells" on the poles, a bag of chips and ALOT of beer! We usually fished for catfish but pulled up whatever would bite of course.

Lake Austin used to be alot of fun at Walsh Boat Landing (got a story about 2 topless strippers wearing only thongs, coming over and kissing on me and my friend at Walsh, while we were just relaxing there fishing, lol). Also a few hundred feet down stream, over at what I always called, "the titties" (the two cement humps / picnic area, on the "dam side" of the Hula Hut at the LCRA building). I caught a big ol' 20lb carp there that was the fight of my life! Had everyone standing up at Hula Hut cheering me on, lol, seriousely!

Also used to Fish at Decker Lake alot and a few other places around Austin. TONS of fishing stories, lol! Anyone got any to share?

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Re: Kinda "on topic" but does anyone do any fishing?
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 5:02pm

Sounds like I've been missing out! I've never been much of a fisherman, but I didn't know you could have quite so much fun doing it. It sounds like you have had yourself a blast doing it. I like anything that lets me drink beer while doing it.

The extent of my fishing has been dangling my fishing pole off the side of my Uncle's boat on his lake in Illonois as a kid. Pulled some some small carp, a good sized cat fish, but nothing all that cool.

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

Shaka
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Round Rock, Texas
Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 3:54pm

We're pretty good at drowning worms then catching fish.  I have four kids that love to drop a line.   However, their fishing attention span is about an hour.  It takes me at least that long to get all the poles and lines untangled and rigged up.

We caught a good size cat up on Possum Kingdom lake.  Mostly carp and sun fish around Lake Austin, Georgetown and Bastrop.   We did catch one bass on LBJ that we cleaned and ate.    Nothing like fresh fish.

Have you ever seen the carp that hang out under the Ski Shores dock on Lake Austin?   Huge!

IP Logged

Nitro1
Austin Boater

Faster than you

Devil's Cove
Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 8:04pm

The carp and catfish that hang out next to The Pier are also monsters. It's a wonder what a steady diet of chips and scraps does for fish like that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care