Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Welcome to Austin Boat Forums!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Watercraft MUSIC BAN vote this week's Austin City (Read 5158 times)
joe boater
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Watercraft MUSIC BAN vote this week's Austin City
Nov 2nd, 2009 at 2:51pm

There is a proposed amendment to the Austin city noise ordinance that is going to hurt if you have a stereo in your boat!

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/council_meetings/item_attachments.cfm?meetingid=195&i...

This poorly written and ill-conceived law will make virtually any use of sound equipment on boats a ticket able offence. Music played at normal (NOT LOUD!) listening volume on boats will definitely still be audible 100 feet away since most boats operate without enclosed cabins to dampen the sound.

Also, since there is no provision to get sound amplifier permits on watercraft, the cruise and rental buisnesses will always have legal problems hosting parties that have live performances, bands and DJs, etc.

Please forward this message to any concerned parties and immediatelty call or write the mayor and city council members urging them to vote no on this amendment.

Thank you,
Joe

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Re: Watercraft MUSIC BAN vote this week's Austin City
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 6:28pm

Yet another reason for them to screw with boaters.  How exciting. Do you have any contact info you can post to make it easy for people to send e-mails etc?

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

joe boater
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2009 at 6:29am

I wrote them emails yesterday and will call the mayor and council members offices today.  Here's the contact info:
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/council/default.htm

As a concerned citizen and recreational boater on area lakes, I am writing you today to express my opposition to item 26  'Approve an ordinance amending City Code Chapter 9-2 (Noise and Amplified Sound) relating to noise from sound equipment to include watercraft; and creating an offense.' on the agenda for  the next scheduled council meeting, 11/5/2009.  I am against amending the noise ordinance as proposed for the following reasons:

1) It is impractical since unlike motor vehicles, most watercraft are not equipped with an enclosed cabin to dampen sound.  Music played at normal conversational volumes  in a watercraft will be audible from 100 feet.  For example, if the noise is only 60dB (normal conversation level) at a distance of 6 feet from the equipment inside the boat, then it will still be 35 dB at the 100 foot distance and easily head, and therefore an offence under the proposed ordinance.

2) The definition of 'audible' is not defined in the amendment.  Human perception of sound varies greatly between individuals. The amended ordinance would depend upon the hearing sensitivity of the citing officer.  The scientific definition for audible sound is the threshold of hearing at 1Khz, defined as 0dB.  For a watercraft user to be assured of lawful operation of their sound equipment (0dB at 100ft), they could not have it louder than a whisper (24 dB at 6 feet).

3) There is no allowance for determining noise from other sources or multiple sources, which will be the typical condition given the boat traffic and exhaust noise.

I believe the City Council can create a reasonable ordinance to address noise complaints on lakes in its jurisdiction. However, this proposed amendment is not it. As written, this amendment effectively bans listening to or performing music on watercraft in the 'live music capitol' !

IP Logged

Wake man
Lake Captain

Austin Boater

Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2009 at 10:16am

Thanks so much for posting this. You definitely came to the right place for some support! I'll be happy to send some emails and call. I think most boaters aren't against a reasonable law. But that's simply too broadly written as it is.

One boatless wake boarder!

IP Logged

joe boater
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2009 at 4:57pm

Currently the item is on the consent agenda, where it will be approved along with many other items.

When you call and email, please ask the mayor and city council members to pull this item for a public hearing.

Thank you for your support!
-Joe

IP Logged

Wake man
Lake Captain

Austin Boater

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2009 at 8:47pm

This is becoming a real news item. Heard it being discussed on the radio which is fantastic. Hopefully we can get awareness in time.

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2009 at 6:57am

You can count me in for another few e-mails sent.

WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

joe boater
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Reply #7 - Nov 4th, 2009 at 6:11pm

When calling the council, I was advised the best chance of stopping this was to register as a speaker againsty the agenda item #26.  If a second person also registers, then the will allow us to speak before they vote.   I signed up to speak this afternoon and plan to attend the meeting tomorrow.

Please sign up at the speaker registration in City Hall lobby tomorrow morning before 10am.

Thanks to all for your emails and support!

IP Logged

Nitro1
Austin Boater

Faster than you

Devil's Cove
Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 9:17am

Oh crap, I wish I read this last night. I won't be in town. This thing is moving very fast. I hope someone who is downtown can get over there to help you out! Thanks for going to speak!

IP Logged

Nitro1
Austin Boater

Faster than you

Devil's Cove
Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 9:29am

E-mails sent though!!!

IP Logged

Wake man
Lake Captain

Austin Boater

Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 10:18pm

how did it go?

IP Logged

horns98
Austin Boater

Hook 'em horns!

Reply #11 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 4:50pm

I did some looking for news on it and all that I've found is personal watercraft bans for lake austin.

2001 Sea Ray 190 Signature

IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #12 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 8:25am

I'd love to know what happened, I keep searching and haven't found anything. I guess if there is a ban, I'm glad I don't have a tower with a big system Smiley They'll get hit first.

WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care