Austin Boat Forums   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Boat safe! Have a great time on the lakes here!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thinking of giving it a try! (Read 3927 times)
Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Thinking of giving it a try!
Aug 30th, 2009 at 5:12pm

In the next couple weeks I'm thinking of heading out to Lake Austin. Is the 360 ramp completely ridiculous in the sense you gotta wait 30 minutes to put your boat in the water and have a hard time parking the trailer?

As far as beginner wake boarding, is there anywhere that isn't totally jammed full of people so my GF doesn't freak out about other boats while pulling me?

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

Shaka
Veteran Austin Boater

Austin Boater

Round Rock, Texas
Re: Thinking of giving it a try!
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 11:01pm

Captain,

We've been timing our ramp activity to avoid peak times so it hasn't been too bad.   We go before noon and pull off before dusk.   We went out Friday after work and put in Saturday without a wait and getting off took maybe five - ten minutes.   Also, parking is a lot easier when you go before noon.   

Fee is $8.00 unless you have annual Travis County park pass (same as Mansfield Dam pass). 

There are a ton of birds under the bridge that will require a car wash if you park under it.

For the best water head up river towards Travis past Emma Long City Park.   The water get better the further up river you go......usually it will also get colder.

Prop Hazards - (Don't mean to scare you, but every lake has a couple).   

#1. The last straight part before Travis / Mansfield dam does get shallow and has some rock hazards along the shore.

#2. Going up Bull Creek (cove across from the Austin Country Club golf course just down from the bridge - geat place to anchor and swim) close to The County Line restaurant gets really shallow has some rock hazzards.   I wouldn't recommend going back very far.

#3.  Gets shallow and has some rocks hazzards close to the shoreline by the Westlake Marina gas station.

See black sections on the attached map.

lakeaustin.GIF (32 KB | )
lakeaustin.GIF

IP Logged

454Steve
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 8:27am

Captain YARRR wrote on Aug 30th, 2009 at 5:12pm:
As far as beginner wake boarding, is there anywhere that isn't totally jammed full of people so my GF doesn't freak out about other boats while pulling me?

It may not be the best lake for that. It's not BAD, but it's not great. Maybe until you're staying up for a while, use another less busy lake if other boats are a problem.

IP Logged

Wake man
Lake Captain

Austin Boater

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 2:27pm

I bet this will be a quiet weekend with texas tech in town!

One boatless wake boarder!

IP Logged

Hunter McDonald
Land Lubber

Austin Boater

Austin, TX
Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 10:32am

You should definitely see less traffic out there this weekend with the big game in town. I usually try to get out early in the AM for on water activities.

Hunter McDonald
South Austin Marine
(512) 657-0310 cell
WWW https://www.facebook.com/supraboard  
IP Logged

Captain YARRR
Admin

Doing the rain dance

Round Rock, TX
Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 3:22pm

Yep, this would be a great weekend! But of course my luck, my GF is leaving town and taking the SUV. I won't even bother trying to peel my friends off of tailgating. So I think that's what's in my future!

2005 Sunsation Dominator 32 MCOB - twin 6.3L
2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10: 460 RWHP, 503 RWTQ
WWW 18297901 shadwlight  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Sponsors
Texas Boat Forums - Everything boating and Texas!

Lake Boss - Boating, booze and good times on the lake blog

Sea Tow
Hula Boat Care